Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put exhaust on my truck, but I am unsure of the Texas laws. Do I have to keep my Cat Converter? or can I ditch it and still pass inspection?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yes you can get rid of the cat.. some guys have gotten tickets for no muffler but its pretty rare i still have straightpiped exhuast and no problems... but yes you can kick the cat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah I am thinking of going to 5" TBE. and then maybe adding an Icebox.

But that is all the mods I am going to make right now. Diesel is too high to be blowing through it.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
i wished we could all come to a conclusion on the cat situation. some peeps say heck no you cant remove it ( muff is okay ) and some say you CAN remove it.

i have the muff delete pipe at the house, and i wanted to get the cat delete pipe from mbrp ( MBRP 04.5+ Dodge Cummins Aluminized Cat Delete Pipe ) - it says on the website that this is ONLY for off road use only.

so which is it ???

G

·
dont have any exhaust on mine and no problems so far my neighbor is DPS and he said unless you are being a jerk they wont bother you oh and find a nice state inspection place to be able to pass

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
dont have any exhaust on mine and no problems so far my neighbor is DPS and he said unless you are being a jerk they wont bother you oh and find a nice state inspection place to be able to pass
your year model didnt come with one from factory, right ? believe thats why you dont NEED one. the ones that did have one from the factory has to have one to be inspected. ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wondering what the "book" reads. i have heard it both ways, as stated in prior posts, and I just don't want to shell out the money and time to only get dinged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
elephant,

I am with you. if i have to keep it, i am going muff delete. if i can ditch it, i am losing the kitty and going 5" tbe.

your year model didnt come with one from factory, right ? believe thats why you dont NEED one. the ones that did have one from the factory has to have one to be inspected. ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
IN TEXAS you can get by with no cat and possibly no muffler... i have talked to dps sheriffs and city pd the new law being enforced in some places is on a diesel you have to have a muffler cat doesnt matter some places cops wont bother you for straight exhuast.. im talking like texas ha not cali or anything like that

·
texas
909 Posts
my truck had a muffler and resanator factory depends on the cops never heard of getting tickets for straight exhaust the big rigs run straight exhaust

G

·
hey elephant i dont know what it came with all i know is a cutting torch and socket set the whole thing disappeared from right under the passenger door lol makes music to my ears

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I want to say it is a federal law that if it comes with a cat you cannot take it off. But if you live in a rural area, most likly the "law" has the same setup on their trucks. I don't have a cat and I haven't heard any stories of guys being dinged for not having one. I don't believe these laws will be enforced for a long time in the south. You should be fine without one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has any one actually seen what the Texas laws say?

Not to be rude, but i am in Houston. I grew up in a small town that we got by with straight pipes on anything. but here they are all into the ozone and stuff. they are strict on gassers and i hear becoming stricter on diesels.

So i just don't want to get dinged. mine is an 07, right before all the DPF junk. but i don't want to get in trouble because i lost the emissions stuff off my truck.

Any TX Law Dogs out there?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah you will be fine in rural areas most sheriffs around here smile and wave to loud diesels

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
Has any one actually seen what the Texas laws say?

Not to be rude, but i am in Houston. I grew up in a small town that we got by with straight pipes on anything. but here they are all into the ozone and stuff. they are strict on gassers and i hear becoming stricter on diesels.

So i just don't want to get dinged. mine is an 07, right before all the DPF junk. but i don't want to get in trouble because i lost the emissions stuff off my truck.

Any TX Law Dogs out there?
this is why i am leaving the cat for now and putting a straight pipe only. tons of opinions, not much on actual facts from a reliable source - no offense, but better safe than sorry with a federal issue such as cats. as soon as there is actual evidence that we can get away with a no cat situation ( specifically the trucks that came with a cat from factory )

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I read a post on here not too long ago that someone copied the cat law straight from the gov't website. If you do a search you might find it. I believe it was TX law too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts