Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Testing The New Hamilton 181/210 Cam

53K views 254 replies 73 participants last post by  ghostman 
#1 ·
I am still running a stock cam in my truck, yes bone stock. I was talking to Ryan at Hamilton Cams today about a customers truck, when the conversation about the new 181/210 cam came up. Ryan said that I will notice a huge gain blah, blah, blah. I offered to test one for him with dyno results and we made a deal. Today he shipped out a cam & the new 110# springs my way. I'm gonna try to get on a dyno soon to get my numbers with a bone stock cam. I will be changing absolutely nothing but the cam and springs before returning to the same dyno. What tests would you guys like to see so that I can start collecting data? Ofcourse I'll be towing my 18k# trailer on the same course for one test. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I told him straight up, I won't sugarcoat this test. I am only interested in real data. My truck made over 500hp at 4k+ rpm. I want to see what it does with a cam. It is something I've always wondered. I'll be running my truck to 4300+ rpm for a true test.

#31 ·
#8 ·
Interested to know myself.

What is your bone stock truck?

#20 ·
Ok I miss understood him then.
He didnt have his specs labeled. Thx

Correct. My last dyno number was 623hp.
I would like to know how it would do on a true bone stock truck?

#14 ·
I'm not sure on your 2nd gens but I just put this cam in my 03 over the christmas break. It is sweet almost all of my turbo lag is gone, it is like a whole different truck. I've never been on the dyno but the difference is night and day. you will love this cam.

#15 ·
hey Jamie thats awesome! i am interested in hearing how you like it and im sure good data will come from your tests. im running a colt regrind and its a great improvement from stock i really like the way it runs. i would be curious to see what your egts are doing 75mph maintaining speed and how much boost...with my setup going down the highway at 75 it maintains 11psi of boost and 700*...stock it was around 3-4psi and 800-850*. i know you have a lot more turbo than i do but it should still be interesting to see the stock cam vs the Hamilton.

#19 ·
Subscribed. I have been debating on getting a cam, just not sure if there worth the cost. Dyno #'s, spool time, boost, egt's.

#21 ·
Which injectors are you gonna be running for this test? Unfortunately as it always seems to be they released these new cams after I put the old style original #110 springs in, so I'll prolly be running Colt's stage 3 181/210.

#47 ·
with these big cams there is nothing even close to stock about em. the ramp rates, durations, timing everything is increased almost as much as possible without needed modifications to other parts like having to machine relief cuts in the pistons to clear the valves. all this work is to get more air in, more exhaust out and do it more efficiently and also give you a broader power band or in the case of the really big cams they might make the most power at 4-5k rpm for pullers but cant be driven on the street. so people are asking about spool and egt's because a big cam will spool a big charger a lot quicker than a stock cam will so your power will come on a lot sooner in the rpm range giving crazy amounts of torque where you need them for towing and playing and it lowers egt's because the cam design is a more refined, efficient design which makes it so your motor burns less fuel to do the same job which in turn lowers egt. and increased airflow also decreases egt's and increases efficiency. so long story short stock cam is ok for stock to medium performance and upgrade cams like the Hamilton 181/210 are for the people that want the most performance out of their ride.

#29 ·
I have a helix2 with Hamilton 110 springs and HD pushrods. I didnt want to turn 4k with strong springs and weak push rods. I hear the CR tappets are the way to go.
Does anyone know the specs on the H2 vs 181/210 from Hamilton?

#30 ·
:woohoo: I'm interested in this. I'd like to see how it helps spool up and EGTs. Are you still running a VP?:confused013:

#34 ·
Alright Jamie........I'll bite... SUBSCRIBED. hahaha

#36 ·
Is the 4K box letting you spin that kinda rpms up there? If so thats pretty freakin awesome. I've been really tossin it back and forth in my head if I wanna pull the trigger on trading in my ADR and original pulse for a 4K and V2 monitor. I've never had any issues with mine and the 4k has been getting mixed reviews.

#41 ·
I never knew you had a ADR, we have to talk matt.

Posting more just to subscribe.

Actually really curious about numbers right now. You'll really be putting the so to the test. 600+ hp for a so pump is alot, perhaps it's the extra rpms.

#37 ·
Subscribed

I just bought one of these cams with tappets and pushrods.
Gonna be kewl to see your real numbers.:stirpot:
Thanks.:thumbsup:

Reactions: modestodieseldk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.