Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few of you im sure read about how i was moving to Vegas and i was doing it all myself so i was asking some towing questions since i havent really towed anything large / heavy with either of my 12s yet. Well along the line i consulted with NorCaler about getting a tune in my truck that would do what i needed to and not turn into the next blown HG case.

Aaron hooked me up with the lastest version of his tow tune and told me rest assured it can handle everything i could throw at it!! First impressions being so used to a street/hot tune it was slightly slower but very strong out of the hole with great mid range for only a 60HP tune. So needless to say i was impressed and the truck was much happier EGT load boost and trans temp all much lower.

Soo now to the important part i did my first trip from Sacramento to Vegas its just under 600 miles with varying elevations and 2 looong climbs tehachapi pass and baker roughly 30 miles long resulting in 5-6k in elevation. I was towing my 22 foot enclosed car hauler with my wifes 2011 Nissan Armada, 7 wardrobe boxes, several normal boxes and a ton of kids tows so my best guess is total my trailer was sitting roughly at 9,000lbs. I reset my mileage meter and trip odometer the second i hit the free way and heres the results !!

truck_zpsea429cc2.mp4 Video by bbkstang | Photobucket

Truck is a 2012 Ram CCSB with 3.73s, 295/70/17 Toyo MTs on stock wheels, 4 inch TBE, HS cold air, a bunch of sinister blueness under the hood and thats it !!

Needless to say i was very impressed and very happy with my investment in the NC tune.!!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
One suggestion would be to calibrate your speedometer, it will make your results a lot more accurate. But I can't argue with low 700s on the EGT and 7lbs of boost that's unbelievable.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya know i was going to recal it but i also have a RamRunner with a diablosport predator and ill tell ya to dial in the rite tire size was absoluty crazy i was drivin thru school zones all day just to use their your speeding contraption and it ending up being that with 35 inch toyos the calibrator had to be set to 33.6 to be accurate on radar , i wonder if the HS is the same

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Yea it takes a few tries but it doesn't take too long. I have a GPS app on my phone it took me about 5 mins out on the highway. You just select a size then restart the truck and check it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
how hot did the egt's get going over the tehachapi's? i make that same trip a few times a year pulling a bit more weight, only difference is i have 35's.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The highest observed EGT was just over 920 and highest trans temp was 166 and highest boost was 28.6 all while coming home passing a chain of big rigs on the way up the hill.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well for some reason the video got deleted from photobucket I'll fix it when I get home, sorry

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
13.4 was the average after 594 miles as I was pulling in my new driveway

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
If your tires are taller than stock, and you haven't corrected your speedo, your mileage should even be better, if you are using odo miles in your calculations. Because your odo will reading will be slightly lower than actual miles traveled.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
average on the dash, or average on the calculator?

without adjusted tires size....

dash.....thats more than you actually got
calc......thats less than you actually got

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dash will show lower mileage than actual because his tires are now making fewer rotations resulting in less miles clocked on the odometer, but still dividing by the same amount if fuel used

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
For all mathematical purposes....you are correct. But that's not the results I had after I installed my mini maxx

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
For all mathematical purposes....you are correct. But that's not the results I had after I installed my mini maxx
Same with the xrt pro. For some reason, the closest xrt tire correction for a 35" tire was not even close!

Anyway, unless we use a corrected speedo, or GPS mileage and a hand calculation, many will not accept the reading.

For me, I was used to seeing my usual "whatever EVIC" reading, and when I deleted, it went up nicely. So, while not technically correct, I was pleased with the EVIC increase!

Now since I'm very close, speedo wise, I'm liking what I see on the EVIC. I still want to do a GPS vs odo challenge to see how close the miles are on a trip.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i have calibrated my speedo with 2 GPS devices, a little hand held garmin and a cell phone speed app. both of these devices read dead on with my mini maxx. i have 33'' tires, and my mini maxx tire size is set at 31.5''. that being said, i just drove 600 miles yesterday. i stopped and filled fuel more often that needed just so i could test the evic vs the calculator. these are my results

evic - 14.1
calc - 13.0

evic - 15.4
calc - 15.0

evic - 15.0
calc - 13.9

evic - 17.7
calc - 16.4

evic - 17.9
calc - 16.8

moral of the story......dont trust the dash

·
Registered
804 Posts
To you guys with tires measure them with a tape measure. Just cause they say 33" does not always mean that is what they are.

Now to the original poster those numbers look real good to me.

I have all stock truck pulling a 18 foot car hauler trailer with a side by side on it. Figure 3,000 pounds for the trailer and the side by side. Ran about 160 miles on the interstate at 70mph then got into 2 lane road that did have some hills and curves so speed might drop to 40 - 45 mph for very short time. Nothing like a major grade that you pull for 10 minutes. Very little idle time, easy on the throttle most of my shifts are before 2,000RPM. Anyway refueled at 204 miles on tank and got 13.1 mpg. I do think this run was lower than it should have been don't really know why it was so low. I track my mileage on fuelly since just after I got the truck. My running mpg is 14.5 over the life of the truck. Have 9,000 miles on truck.

Went back and checked mileage from previous trip going to same place and this trip was like 3 or 4 tenths lower than last time. Guess maybe this time it regened or something. I did have the EGR unplugged last time maybe that was the difference.

If my truck had been pulling what you were I would have been dang lucky to have gotten 10mpg out of it. I mean the trailer I was pulling was like 6,000 pounds lighter and did not have near the wind drag you had. Factor in the hills you had to pull and shoot I may have not even been able to get 10mpg out of mine.

Long story short NC tow tune sure looks to be working. Going to have to get me one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well he should be back in bizz here soon, another buddy if mine tried out one of his tunes on his 11 dually he pulls a rodeo hauler every weekend and he went from 240 miles to a tank to just over 300 pulling 27k it unreal the potential these trucks have when massaged the rite way

Reactions: NorCaler

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Has anyone else tried to run the NC tune with emissions still intact?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts