Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out by telling me ways to test a 48re transmission without actually being able to road test the vehicle. I'm looking at a 2003 Ram 2500 with 240,000km on it. It's in a auction lot so there is no way to actually test the truck, but I do have access to the keys and am able to start the truck and put it in and out of gear, as well as rev the engine. Today when I was looking at it, I put the truck in gear, and at idle the truck engaged nicely, and lurched forward a little bit. I then held the break down and it would rev to around 2000rpm before moving. I know that this is all relative to the tires and how good my breaks are, but what kind of tests could I do to test the transmission without actually being able to drive the truck? It's looking like I'm going to be able to get a really good deal on the truck, I just don't want to have to rebuild the tranny right away. I had a local dealer check the vin number to insure that it is a 48 tranny. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also I pulled the dipstick out and the fluid is nice and clear and it did not have any burn smell to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that is about all you can do...smell the fluid....you cant really pull the drain plug to see if there is metal in the bottom.....that is the problem with auctions....sometimes you win sometimes you loose....i bought a pontiac grand prix and lost on that won.....but i have bought many other trucks and i have made out....i am going next saturday to a auction and buying another big truck....a 2004 international 4900 24' dump body with a palfinger knuckle boom with a graple on the end for my company....hopefully that will be a good truck.....my last international i bought at auction has been a pretty good truck...having a issue now but that is with any big truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm going to go and take another look at it today to try and get a better feel for the truck. The thing is that I might be able to get the truck for under 10g Can. So for that price I can afford to put a little bit of money into it, I just don't want to have to spend a whole wack load right away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts