Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a duramaxx today and I must say I was not impressed. The dashboard looked like cheap black plastic, the interior looked cheap and cheesy and there was no comparison to my beautiful Dodge interior.

The ride seemed soft but as you went down a bumpy road it would drift side to side horribly. And what's with the two big bumps in the hood that makes it look stupid when you're driving down the road at least from the cab it does.

I can't really say that I liked anything about the duramaxx at all, and when I got in my truck to leave as I was driving down the road all I could think was this is a beautiful truck I have.

High pressure salesman too, he wanted me to get my wife to come down to approved the numbers, I laughed and told him for umpteenth time I not buying that piece of crap and laughed walked out.

Test our metal, great slogan, great truck.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Why are you test driving one?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having death wobble issues since I put on my carli suspension and wife wants to get rid of truck now, I may have to go back to stock suspension if it can't be fixed, otherwise she wants it gone. So she wanted my to go test drive one since our last gasser was a gmc and she loved it.

It's pretty severe I understand her concerns.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Haha, just to see how bad he hates them i guess. I really dont hate any of them they all run good if theyre takin care of, my brothers dmax is solid no issues and i dont mind driving it.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was quiet, sounded like a gasser to me, seemed gutless only because I run hot mode all the time. I don't hate it, just would not trade my for it.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
My friend has an '11 Duramax. It's a nice truck. It runs awesome. Not a fan of those hood things, either, but if I didn't buy a Ram I would have picked the Duramax. I don't like Fords.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I test drove a duramaxx today and I must say I was not impressed. The dashboard looked like cheap black plastic, the interior looked cheap and cheesy and there was no comparison to my beautiful Dodge interior.

The ride seemed soft but as you went down a bumpy road it would drift side to side horribly. And what's with the two big bumps in the hood that makes it look stupid when you're driving down the road at least from the cab it does.

I can't really say that I liked anything about the duramaxx at all, and when I got in my truck to leave as I was driving down the road all I could think was this is a beautiful truck I have.

High pressure salesman too, he wanted me to get my wife to come down to approved the numbers, I laughed and told him for umpteenth time I not buying that piece of crap and laughed walked out.

Test our metal, great slogan, great truck.
Those were the exact same issues I found along with the back seat small and uncomfortable. When I got in the new Megacab it was way nicer. All in all Im glad we have three different trucks to choose from!

MQQSE

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fords have really nice interior but never have a motor that seems to last or prove itself i guess you could say not since the 7.3 anyway

·
Registered
2010 LB MiniMaxx, 625s, Fass 150
870 Posts
Having death wobble issues since I put on my carli suspension and wife wants to get rid of truck now, I may have to go back to stock suspension if it can't be fixed, otherwise she wants it gone. So she wanted my to go test drive one since our last gasser was a gmc and she loved it.

Thats too bad you are still having trouble with this, I was following your other thread for a while, kinda fingured you were able to work it out.
Hope it works out for you...Good luck!

Reactions: tcclindy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not giving up my dodge we will figure it out. If anything I have more motivation to get it fixed after sizing up the competitors.

·
Registered
679 Posts
well there ya go ive been with out mine for over a week now, due to ecm issues from most likely from the mini maxx, long story but its junk now and i'm waiting for a new one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a guy in our office that bought his first diesel, a duramax, last fall. It has been in the shop about 30 days off and on since last November. Everything from an exhaust leak, they had to pull the transmission to fix, to leaking water, loss of power with drive-ability issues. Tried to get him to buy a Dodge and he is so regretting not doing it now. Seems like every problem takes them days to figure out. Has to make him feel proud to keep up that Chevy tradition!

·
Registered
11,261 Posts
I rode in a 2012 Duramax 4wd, 3500 qclb and felt the suspension was pretty firm. Extremely quiet truck though and I felt the seats were quite comfortable. You can't beat IFS for tracking on the freeway,but off highway the low slung frame and durability of the IFS are suspect. My co-worker had a water pump go out on his '04 Duramax and the pump,thermostat,fluid and labor came to over $800 at the dealer. Everything's pretty buried.
Great tranny.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Buried is an understatement with ford and chevy. I said i dont mind driving them lol but working on them is the main reason, it looks like Paul Bunyan was using his 500lb sledge and just seeing how much metal and plastic he could beat under the hood of those 2 trucks.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts

call carli and let them know, im sure they could help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In looking at all three I'd say Ford interior is best but truck looks terrible on the outside especially the front end. I'd never buy it just based on that and their ever rotating engines since 7.3.

Ram is second interior and number one in exterior and powertrain so Ram is no brainer.

Chevy is kinda meh in all areas. I don't like how frame hangs down below body.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was looking to get rid of the 05 6.0 I looked at a new duramax. I wasn't impressed with it at all. Interior was cheap hard plastic, Seats were to soft for my likeing. And I absolutly hated the gauges and the radio set up. Power was ok down low, but I was impressed how it pulled at 3000+ RPM. Only problem with that is I don't tow at 3000+RPM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also test drove a new '12 Duramax 1 ton this last Saturday, I bought it that day! I'm so done with Dodge and the 3 junk trucks I've had, nothing but unreliable, piss poor mileage, crap tranny, money pits. Bought a brand new 2010 1 ton SRW off the show room floor and it spent most of the 5500 miles I had it in the shop, between the tranny issues, random no starts, random stalling on the highway, mystery shifts from 6th down to 4th and back to 6th, etc. Not mention the pathetic GVWR for a 1 ton crew cab SRW truck, 10,100 lbs. and the Megacab Dually has a GVWR of 10,500, what a joke! Then I moved to a couple of 5.9's that have proven to be anything but the bulletproof engine many claim they are, between new injectors (twice) a turbo, a complete rebuild, too many electrical issues to count and the list goes on and on. Those 3 Cummins damn near bankrupted me. I never raced or abused any of them, I pulled work trailers, my 16,000# 5th wheel and was never truly impressed. Sure the Chevy's frame sits lower, but it's infinitely stronger than the Ram platform not to mention a SRW 1 ton Chevy has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. Also what's with the pathetic trailering weights for the Ram as well, what 13,650#'s for the 1 ton single or mega dually vs the Chevy's 17,000#'s. Sure you can get the the Ram "Tow Max" package, which consists of upgraded tranny and power steering cooling, new rear axle and pinion, new helical gears, upgraded bearings and a cool new finned diff cover. Like everyone always says "we buy these trucks to haul and work", so why the hell would all that hardware not be on every 3/4 or 1 ton they sell???? All Dodge is saying is if you want to haul and keep pace with Chev or Ford you're gonna need all this extra stuff to do it, sorry our "regular" trucks just aren't up to the task. Sad, sad, sad. Yes, I think the interior on the Chevy needs an update, is it bad, no, uncomfortable, no! You want uncomfortable, drive a '03 - 09 Ram crewcab. Oh, then there is the DEF (urea) issue so many Cummins owners seem to focus on, DEF, who cares?? It's on the Ram 1 ton chassis cabs and soon to be on your beloved 3/4 or 1 ton with a box. DEF costs approx. $10/gal but nets approx. 20% better fuel economy, seems like a fair trade to me. When you cut all the crap, B.S. and brand loyalty garbage what you're left with is a sub-standard diesel pickup that cannot even compete with the Chev or the Ford. Of course the Ram is 8K cheaper, but you're getting less truck, DUH! There is no comparison between the two when it comes to putting the power to the ground, the Chevy simply does it better, more efficiently and more comfortably. When you put the two trucks side by side it's not even close, not even a fair comparison really. Truth is Dodge has ridden on this Cummins bandwagon for years and done little to actually improve their trucks capabilities and that's why a Cummins powered Ram is always a distant 3rd to Chev and ford in the diesel truck comparison tests. There's my rant, that's it that's all!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also test drove a new '12 Duramax 1 ton this last Saturday, I bought it that day! I'm so done with Dodge and the 3 junk trucks I've had, nothing but unreliable, piss poor mileage, crap tranny, money pits. Bought a brand new 2010 1 ton SRW off the show room floor and it spent most of the 5500 miles I had it in the shop, between the tranny issues, random no starts, random stalling on the highway, mystery shifts from 6th down to 4th and back to 6th, etc. Not mention the pathetic GVWR for a 1 ton crew cab SRW truck, 10,100 lbs. and the Megacab Dually has a GVWR of 10,500, what a joke! Then I moved to a couple of 5.9's that have proven to be anything but the bulletproof engine many claim they are, between new injectors (twice) a turbo, a complete rebuild, too many electrical issues to count and the list goes on and on. Those 3 Cummins damn near bankrupted me. I never raced or abused any of them, I pulled work trailers, my 16,000# 5th wheel and was never truly impressed. Sure the Chevy's frame sits lower, but it's infinitely stronger than the Ram platform not to mention a SRW 1 ton Chevy has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. Also what's with the pathetic trailering weights for the Ram as well, what 13,650#'s for the 1 ton single or mega dually vs the Chevy's 17,000#'s. Sure you can get the the Ram "Tow Max" package, which consists of upgraded tranny and power steering cooling, new rear axle and pinion, new helical gears, upgraded bearings and a cool new finned diff cover. Like everyone always says "we buy these trucks to haul and work", so why the hell would all that hardware not be on every 3/4 or 1 ton they sell???? All Dodge is saying is if you want to haul and keep pace with Chev or Ford you're gonna need all this extra stuff to do it, sorry our "regular" trucks just aren't up to the task. Sad, sad, sad. Yes, I think the interior on the Chevy needs an update, is it bad, no, uncomfortable, no! You want uncomfortable, drive a '03 - 09 Ram crewcab. Oh, then there is the DEF (urea) issue so many Cummins owners seem to focus on, DEF, who cares?? It's on the Ram 1 ton chassis cabs and soon to be on your beloved 3/4 or 1 ton with a box. DEF costs approx. $10/gal but nets approx. 20% better fuel economy, seems like a fair trade to me. When you cut all the crap, B.S. and brand loyalty garbage what you're left with is a sub-standard diesel pickup that cannot even compete with the Chev or the Ford. Of course the Ram is 8K cheaper, but you're getting less truck, DUH! There is no comparison between the two when it comes to putting the power to the ground, the Chevy simply does it better, more efficiently and more comfortably. When you put the two trucks side by side it's not even close, not even a fair comparison really. Truth is Dodge has ridden on this Cummins bandwagon for years and done little to actually improve their trucks capabilities and that's why a Cummins powered Ram is always a distant 3rd to Chev and ford in the diesel truck comparison tests. There's my rant, that's it that's all!
Are you done? Its unfortunate that you had bad luck with (3) dodge vehicles but not ALL Dodge/Ram trucks are garbage as you have implied. I have owned a few powerstrokes, I even ran a duramax for a few months until the tie rods took a dump, but my dodges have lasted just shy of 600,000 miles combined in the last 8 years as ranch trucks with only minor issues. Not to mention for someone like myself with a screwed up spinal cord its nice to drive something comfortable. Have I liked certain things on my fords and the gmc, sure. Would I trade my Ram for another brand, absolutely not. I bought a new F350 two weeks ago just out of curiosity on how the engine performed and how it handled. Although it is a "nice" looking truck, I can already tell you with absolute certainty that it isn't $53,000 worth of Nice. The drive train is a little squishy and the engine bay looks like a cluster ****. I will keep my $8000 cheaper pickup and enjoy actually being able to not worry about it and should the unthinkable happen I can fix it myself. A friend from work is working with his bank to buy the ford as we speak. He is determined to make it work for him so its a win-win situation. Just my $.02

1 - 20 of 153 Posts