Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of putting these on my stock wheels. There are a few different sizes and was wondering which you think will look better: 285/70/17 or 295/70/17. How do you like these tires and do they look pretty good on stock wheels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have the 285/70/17's on my truck and they are great....but im tryin to go alittle more....like a 305/70/17....but the 285's are great tires....haven't had any problems with them....they got me about 22,000 miles

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've got the 295's. Pics in my garage I think. If youre going for looks, the 295 will be a little wider on the tread pattern, but not as wide as the 305 and still be a 33.2 tire.

Wood

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got the 285s on my truck,I thought about the 295s but IMO they look too wide. That and the 295s are only D rated. I tow heavy all the time and don't want any part of a lighter duty tire.

IMO the 285s are perfect.

I'll try to get a pic for you later.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I've got the 305/70/17's I liked the way the looked on my factory wheels, but i did up date them, here some pics

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What diameter do the 285/70 and 295/70 measure?

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Manager at Discount told me Nitto's were a softer tire and wouldn't last as long as some of the competition. Not too sure if he's right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Manager at Discount told me Nitto's were a softer tire and wouldn't last as long as some of the competition. Not too sure if he's right.
I agree with him.

I won't get more than 21-22K out of mine. Even with 3000 mile rotations.

I won't likely buy another set. I can't put $1000 worth of tires on my truck once a year.

The problem is finding an E rated 285.

Not much out there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the 325/65/18 and if I did it over I would get a Toyo MT, I run those on my stock wheels in the winter and just wish I had them all year they seem to be a better tire.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have 20,000 on the Nitto T G 305's and i swap em around every Oil change and i can get another 20,000 out of them at this rate, i have more then 1/2 tread left

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The problem is finding an E rated 285.

Not much out there.
As long as the load 'weight' is the same it's okay. E or D just means how much PSI they need to put in the tire to handle that load. For example: 265/70/17 Michelins are "E" rated and can support 3195 lbs @ 80 PSI. 285/70/17 Michelins are "D" rated and can support 3195 lbs @ 65 PSI. I hope I explained that correctly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As long as the load 'weight' is the same it's okay. E or D just means how much PSI they need to put in the tire to handle that load. For example: 265/70/17 Michelins are "E" rated and can support 3195 lbs @ 80 PSI. 285/70/17 Michelins are "D" rated and can support 3195 lbs @ 65 PSI. I hope I explained that correctly.
I know all about the D vs. E theory. I used to think it didn't matter as long as the weight capacity was the same.

I've pulled the same loads with D rated tires on my 2500HD and then with identical E rated tires.

Without question,the E rated tires handled the load better than the Ds.

The E rated tires handled better,ran smoother,and ran cooler than the Ds.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I know all about the D vs. E theory. I used to think it didn't matter as long as the weight capacity was the same.

I've pulled the same loads with D rated tires on my 2500HD and then with identical E rated tires.

Without question,the E rated tires handled the load better than the Ds.

The E rated tires handled better,ran smoother,and ran cooler than the Ds.
I always wondered since I never put it to the test. Good to know. Thanks. :thumbsup

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I have a set of the terra grapplers tha have almost 33k on them and I can prob get another 10 out of them... they are a good tire for the price...

if you want a nice all around tire though the Toyo mts that I am running now are a great set they are a lot more expensive.. tire wear in minimal so far and I have like 12k on them good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your replies. I think the 285's might look to small. Will the 295's stick out any or will they just fill up the fenderwell?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts