Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering a new set of tires tomorrow morning. It is between the 295 70 17 terra grapplers and the 285 75 17 terra grapplers. The 285s are load E rated and about $17 a tire more. The 295s are only load d rated. I am not sure which one I need. I use my truck to pull a skidsteer. (8000k lbs) occasionally and to pull a dumping trailer which gets up around 6-7k lbs. never more than 20 - 30 miles to the dump. Other than that just a 3 place snowmobile trailer and an occasional open car hauler short distances. Any help is appreciated asap as I would like to order tomorrow am. Thanks

· Registered
34 Posts
Ive got a set of nitto tires and they are good shoes. We run all E rated tires on the farm, i put more miles on a rock road then on highways, the E tires are the way to go. IMO. especially when your hauling heavy loads. But thats just my opinion, I run 60 psi all the time.

· Registered
643 Posts
Terra Grapplers left a bad taste in my mouth, but if it was me, I would go for the E rated ones, the front ends on our trucks are heavy without any load!

· Registered
200 Posts
Yep, E rated even if you run empty. The front end- your steering end- is about 4500 lbs, which is at the upper limits of the D range. I've heard nothing but good things about the Hankook RT03.

· Registered
3,516 Posts
the hankook's ROCK ,great tire. my 295 terras, have been fine but the d range dosnt last long, 20000 and looking for new tires.

· Registered
2,317 Posts
I have the Terra Grapplers [D rated] on my truck & haven't heard much good from other people about my choice. If I had it to do over, I would get the Toyo open country.

I think I would too :sad2

I have the E rated Terras. I dig the tread pattern but still trying to get the truck to drive smooth. I'm HOPING that the more aggressive tread exacerbates input from the ball joints/front end.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I decided to go with the e rated Terra grapplers 285s but when I called they said they were on indefinate backnorder. They said that they had 305s 70 17s in stock. Anyone running these, how wide are they? Do they stick out at all? I am planning on putting fender flares on. Would these look good together or would I need something a little wider? Anyone that can help please let me know asap as I would like to order the tires today and I don't want to get something that I will regret when I get it all put together. Thanks

· Registered
643 Posts
Looks to be like a 34x12.50 roughly, should clear as long as you don't have a big offset in your wheels. I had 305/70/17's before and they cleared fine. Looks like they are E rated too, should be ok. I had the D rated ones (325/60/R20) and they wore terrible on my truck, didn't handle very well either.

Reactions: patrick.durbahn

· Registered
32 Posts
I've had three sets of tires of the truck. First set was the BFG, 265's they were ok but just didn't like the look. Then I went to the Toyo's 285's E rated and loved them. Got about 50K miles Highway and offroad, Great wear and excellent ride. Then I went to the Nitto Terra Grapplers (they were cheaper by $25 and in stock) nad I have been completely disappointed. Ride was horrible, the tires wore uneven making the ride worse. For all intensive purposes the tires were shot a 35k.

I liked the TOYO's but if someone has a better buy I'm game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.