Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04.5 cummins and i have a squeal under the hood pretty much all the time. i changed the belt less than a year ago so i dont think its the belt and the sound is coming from the bottom left of the motor and i watched the tensioner and it appears to move a bit while the motor is on. does this sound like it needs replaced and would i need to replace the whole thing or just the pulley? is there a write up on how to do this or can anyone walk me through it that have already changed one? thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats crazy, im the only one who has ever had this problem. maybe dodge will give me a new truck or something

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm wondering the same thing. mine has a pretty good squeal most of the time as well. in my case my belt is fairly loose so i figured i'd get a new belt first. and while its off im going to turn all the pulleys to see if i can find the noise maker. but thats a good question about replacing the entire tensioner or just the pulley?

·
Registered
509 Posts
i have a 04.5 cummins and i have a squeal under the hood pretty much all the time. i changed the belt less than a year ago so i dont think its the belt and the sound is coming from the bottom left of the motor and i watched the tensioner and it appears to move a bit while the motor is on. does this sound like it needs replaced and would i need to replace the whole thing or just the pulley? is there a write up on how to do this or can anyone walk me through it that have already changed one? thanks
the tensioner will have some small movement due to tension changing but nothing major, i would recomend taking belt off and spinning all the pulleys and pinpoint noise. :thumbsup:

i'm wondering the same thing. mine has a pretty good squeal most of the time as well. in my case my belt is fairly loose so i figured i'd get a new belt first. and while its off im going to turn all the pulleys to see if i can find the noise maker. but thats a good question about replacing the entire tensioner or just the pulley?
if your belt is loose then the tensioner is not doing its job. replace tensioner i would replace the belt as a pm reason.
:thumbsup:

also to see if is just belt noise, you can take a SMALL amount a/b 1/2 the size of a dime of black rtv and put on belt ribs, if the noise goes away then its the belt. replace it.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
X2, pull the belt and check individual components. As far as changing the tensioner goes, all that you need to pull is 1 13mm bolt and it drops right off of there. I did mine today, the pulley was wearing funny. Easy 20 minute job, the hardest part is paying for the new parts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you able to do this without removing anything else like the shroud or radiator? its pretty tight in there

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I went up from the bottom, didn't have to remove anything else to get it out.

·
Premium Member
15,374 Posts
Replace the tensioner pulley, had the same problem and that was it.

Pull the airbox and take the tensioner out from the top. Will save lots of headaches and scraped knuckles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the tensioner bolt takes a 13mm wrench to remove pull it out and it will come off then put the new one in takes one bolt and one alignement nipple. then just shove your belt on and your done. i did myn in the freezing rain in 12 degree weather with no jacket in about 25 minutes. its no big deal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Replace the tensioner pulley, had the same problem and that was it.

Pull the airbox and take the tensioner out from the top. Will save lots of headaches and scraped knuckles.
never though of that. i did myn from the bottom but im sure this would be easier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replys, how much did you pay for the setup? i have seen them at autozone for like 99 bucks i think

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
170 ish from NAPA. The NAPA tensioner was way beefier than the dayco I pulled off, had a metal pulley, not plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
the tensioner bolt takes a 13mm wrench to remove pull it out and it will come off then put the new one in takes one bolt and one alignement nipple. then just shove your belt on and your done. i did myn in the freezing rain in 12 degree weather with no jacket in about 25 minutes. its no big deal.
:worthy::cheer: Balls of steel. I hate the rain. Snow doesn't bug me like getting wet down to my shorts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok now it seems whatever was making the squeal, doesn't squeal when i plug the truck in over night. starts up fine with no squeal. only squeals when its started cold. so i dont think that would be belt tensioner. any other ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
anybody have an idea?

·
Premium Member
15,374 Posts
Replace the belt and pulley if you haven't, that solved my problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts