Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Temperature Hand Moving Back and Fourth????

1136 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  madmikeismad
Ive got a 97 Dodge Dually Diesel and the temp. hand want to fluctuate really bad and sometimes gets stuck on the hot side. When i check the hoses and water its not hot??? Any ideas?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Under the "Powertrain" forum you posted about excessive white/blue smoke out of exhaust and excessive blowby. Did both of these start about the same time temp gauge started shooting up? Any idea how hot it has gotten? High temp and now smoke is not normally a good sign. You might try changing thermostat and making sure water is flowing when it is open then go from there.

· Registered
125 Posts
It is not getting hot its got a mew water pump hoses and thermostat. I was just thinkin it might be a bad guage or something.
i got the exact same thing with mine.....havnt got to it yet....please pm me if u figure it out

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The coolant temp senders don't go out often but it sounds like your problem. Sort of bear to get at, very back of the head.
If it was really getting that hot the fan clutch should be locking up.
When it locks you'll definitely know it, sounds like jet taking off.

· I want to marry my truck
1,679 Posts
Yeah, my fan kicked on for the first time the other day, I was scared, I had no idea what that sound was.... It went up and down with rpm, I eventually figured it out :) Really does sound like a jet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.