Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Dodge CTD, my temp gauge runs right at 190 or the middle mark all the time cept when I'm towing up or down a steep hill, when I go up a steep hill it climbs a couple of thicknesses of the needle, I hear the fan clutch tighten up and start howling and the temp soon comes back down to normal, when I go down a hill, it of course drops a bit. Not worried but I had a non-dodge guy tell me that it shouldn't fluxuate that much. Prolly needs a coolant flush? Coolant looks good, didn't test it though.

With an Arizona summer comin up, I'd like to fix it now if it needs it.

Usually factory gauges aren't that active.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Sounds normal to me. If you had a exhaust gas temperature gauge, you'd probably see 900 - 1000 degrees going up hill and close to 300 going down hill.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds normal to me. If you had a exhaust gas temperature gauge, you'd probably see 900 - 1000 degrees going up hill and close to 300 going down hill.
Thanks, I do have an EGT gauge in teh Edge pod. It reads right around those numbers.
BTW, It was 84° ambient on the last test. 6% grade, towing about 7K pounds, Edge setting #2, and the water gauge crept up a bit til the fan clutch locled up and cooled it right back down by the time I reached the summit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts