Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the better of the 2?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have a preference but I run the primus and it works very well for me. I tow a toy hauler, a 16 ft. enclosed work trailer and a 16k lb dump trailer and it works well with each. I used this controller in my '97 ford before I got the dodge.

I have heard good things about both conrollers.

Good luck.:l

·
Registered
882 Posts
The Prodigy is better of the two, but I would get the P3 by Tekonsha. Its the next generation Prodigy. I have the reg Prodigy and have had it in 4 trucks and have over 300k towed miles with it. The Prodigy has worked great with every trailer I have hooked up. It did fail once and I called Tekonsha and the told me to go to any Tekonsha dealer (just about any dealer) and hand it in for a free replacement. They stood behind there product and the warranty (Lifetime) was no hassles.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For heavy hauling, the prodigy is garbage. With no level adjustment, you can't get enough braking power. I use a Primus.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the P3 prodigy with 12k 5th wheel and love it.:thumbsup

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only tow a 6x12 tandem axle enclosed bike trailer with 2-3 bikes, i want more braking power since i went to 35 in tires.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
For heavy hauling, the prodigy is garbage. With no level adjustment, you can't get enough braking power. I use a Primus.
Funny, never heard that before. The Prodigy was considered the very best controller until the P3 came out which is just a better Prodigy.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I agree with ram3500 dually. I have never heard that before. Both controllers are made by same company. Has about the same internals. The t3 just adds more bling. I tow heavy. 20k-30k sometimes. All day everyday damn near. and not once have i had a problem. I do set my gain to max and boost 3 and i brake just fine. if your having problems braking. I think its more of your trailer brakes or your just maybe expecting to much outta electric brakes.

If you want better braking, get electric over hydralic braking and you wont need a brake controller then. If you really wanna brake even better. sell your dodge and buy something with airbrakes.:lol3:

Now, back to the question, if it were me, i would buy the t3 only because its the newer model and sooner or later the prodigy will be obsolete.

I heard great things about maxbrake too but there triple the price. i got my prodigy for around 90 bucks i think.

Only thing that sucks about these adjustable brake controllers is when you tote different loads, sometimes i forget to lighten up the settings cause after i drop off my loads, i take off and go hit the breaks and about slam my heaad into the windshield:thud:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Me either. It has worked for me with anything from a single axle lite tt to a 21k gooseneck loaded!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It is called Boost!! The prodigy and P3 don't have a level adjustment because it is done internally. No pendulum to set up because it uses some type of accelerometer.

I have had a prodigy for years and now with the new truck I got the P3 and loved them both

Chris

·
Banned
722 Posts
It is called Boost!! The prodigy and P3 don't have a level adjustment because it is done internally. No pendulum to set up because it uses some type of accelerometer.

I have had a prodigy for years and now with the new truck I got the P3 and loved them both

Chris
There is a gain control also.

But im sure u meant that or i misunderstood

gain 1-14
boost 1-3

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've got the Prodigy and haulin firewood in a 16' dump trailer along with the bed full and coming out of the hills with sharp corners and stupid traffic, never had a problem. Guess it comes down to how much do you want to spend. Both will do the job, but the P3 has a few more "bells and whistles" to it. My pops runs the Prodigy on his Furd with the dump trailer and doesn't have any problems either with it. He has ran his for quite a few years before I bought mine and personally, I think either way you go, you'll be fine...

:thumbsup

·
Registered
648 Posts
I stand by my original statement on the Prodigy. Cranked up as high as it will go, it's not enough. 21,000# is not heavy. For the average consumer they're probably just fine. I have nothing against the product other than it doesn't work for what I need. I would never question it's longevity.

The Prodigy(s) that I have used have not been on my trucks. Both worked the same. Little to no braking unless you absolutely stomped on it. Then you could slide the tires loaded. Boost setting made no difference.

ccoop769, did you mean to say this or not?
If you want better braking, get electric over hydralic braking and you wont need a brake controller then.
If you meant that, you need an education in electric over hydraulic brakes. I have those brakes. They are far superior to plain old electric, but they still require a controller.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I stand by my original statement on the Prodigy. Cranked up as high as it will go, it's not enough. 21,000# is not heavy. For the average consumer they're probably just fine. I have nothing against the product other than it doesn't work for what I need. I would never question it's longevity.

The Prodigy(s) that I have used have not been on my trucks. Both worked the same. Little to no braking unless you absolutely stomped on it. Then you could slide the tires loaded. Boost setting made no difference.

ccoop769, did you mean to say this or not?

If you meant that, you need an education in electric over hydraulic brakes. I have those brakes. They are far superior to plain old electric, but they still require a controller.
Maybe your right. I am far a brake genius. Just from articles i read its says you dont need a brake controller with those brakes. Here is one that i spotted quickly Brake Controller Sale. Draw tite/Tekonsha Brake Controllers at Low Prices. Activator 3 Remote Brake Control On Sale!

Also, if you notice no difference with boost settings, something sounds wrong cause i notice a big difference with boost setting and my avg load is 22,000. Now as for locking up your brakes with that load, i cannot do that. I can slide tires with a less load but never with a full load. Even with new magnets and new brakes with full adjustments done by factory technicians from take3trailers. But hey what do i know. im just a hotshotter, not a mechanic.:thumbsup

Again, sounds like something was wrong with those trucks. I can play with my settings and have my trailer brakes pull my truck back or vise versa or split over evenly. I can have it set where i just lightly tap my brake pedal and it will tug me hard.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a primus and love it.....but I dont pull everyday like a lot of the guys on here....but when I need it it works great

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got setup from the dealer with a Tekonsha Voyager. It's got the level knob to adjust brake aggressiveness and power knob with manual slide to adjust the power to the brakes. I'm sure it's old school but I like it that way. I tow a 13k 5th wheel occaisionally.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I run a Prodigy....and typically sit around 16k# to 24k# and it has always done exactly what I needed it to....great product, easy install and a great warranty.. if I felt like spending the money I'd get a T3, but this one works perfect, so why mess with it.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Something was wrong. The Prodigy has plenty of stopping power, there are many guys running them in there hot shot rigs grossing 36k with no issues. Really sounds like the gain and boost levels were not set properly.

I primarily pull Jayco products and they all seem to be very close to each other and I may have to boost up or down a level. Now a few months back I picked up a Forest River TT and I had to adjust the gain and boost to get the stopping power I like.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dug this oldie up for fun.

I now have a prodigy of my own and hate it. Many days it has almost gone out the window. It's a great controller if you don't know how your brakes are supposed to work.

Next truck will most likely have a built in unit so I won't have this pos forever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts