Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched high and low and found nothing anywhere on anyone doing a 4x2 to IFS 4x4 conversion on a Ram....

1. Swap late model GM front IFS 2500 in to my cummins...

2. Much better ride and handling characteristics

3. Lower stance for better entry and exit...

4. I really want to mess with people at the truck pull... (Picture a 2500 2001 cummins in the weeds hook and book in 4x4? Major head scratcher...

Anyone ever hear of anyone attempting or succeding at this?

It's just iron right?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
With Rack and Pinion steering!!!!!! Kickarse ride then. I've always liked the GM'S. The ride the body the comfort. Interior too. Still like my Cummins too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Why would you want IFS? Lol... The common way to do it is to swap a solid axle I the truck cus it's stronger. I guess get a welder and a tubing bender and make you some sort of cradle between the frame rails and the lower control arms. In all honesty it shouldn't be too hard with some tabs and good strong DOM tubing. The biggest problem you are gonna run into is gear choices are limited for those ifs center sections. I don't think they make a 3.55 r&p for ifs pumpkins...
On top of that, the newer Chevy 2500's still use torsion bars, you've got coils... No where for the cv's the run.
Then... Lol... What are you gonna do about mating the ifs knuckle to your lower control arms?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Apache ..... Why use the dodge knuckles??? Complete GM IFS is all that's needed. It'd be a challenge for sure. Hot Rod builders do this stuff all the time. Measurements and hopefully the two frames are close enough to do a swap. I'd say get a lot of measurements. Go from there first. Definitely get a IFS from a one ton GM as they have bigger torsion bars. Should handle the Cummins just fine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Apache ..... Why use the dodge knuckles??? Complete GM IFS is all that's needed. It'd be a challenge for sure. Hot Rod builders do this stuff all the time. Measurements and hopefully the two frames are close enough to do a swap. I'd say get a lot of measurements. Go from there first. Definitely get a IFS from a one ton GM as they have bigger torsion bars. Should handle the Cummins just fine.
I didn't say use the dodge knuckles... I asked how you'd adapt the ifs knuckles to the dodge lower control arms.
I'm with the other guy, just put a cummins in a Chevy. You'll end up having so much time and labor into a ifs swap it probly wouldn't be worth it. Plus, if you broke something, you'd be the only one who can fix it, and I guarantee it will break the first few times out. There's always gremlins...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
IFS 's really look good at pulls when they fail. Don't forget that point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts