Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my TC is starting to be a little fishy due to the whole turned up P7100 deal. What exactly are the power ratings for single, triple, and five disc tc's? Trying to plan out what I really need to do here for future purposes. Plan on doing either S366 single or as a HX35/S366 setup this summer coming up. Also, probably might as well throw in a billet input while I'm doing the TC? Anyone have one to give to a poor Army man? Haha. Just trying to plan out my best route for the spend. Doubt I'm ever going to have like 1000hp so don't need it super outrageous. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A billet single disk converter is good for 450 to 600 HP depending on transmission line pressure, stator stall speed, drag racing vs daily driving, and of course, who built the converter. From time to time, Diesel Performance Converters has reman single disk converters that will perfectly fit a poor military man's budget. I ran one for a while and it lasted till about 500-550 HP.

A billet triple is good for about 1000 HP. At that level, there are a lot of other variables that determine how much it will hold and how long it will last.

I only know of one company that makes a 5 disk setup, if the internet rumors are true, it's hit or miss, some only hold 300 HP, some hold 800 HP. The track record is bad enough that I'd personally never try one unless it was dirt-cheap.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Blue you are a boss. Just looked up Diesel Performance Converters. $800 for a triple disk? That's kind of hard to pass up!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a $499 billet, cryo treated input on puredieselpower. Good deals all around!

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Army, look at the brand name of that shaft. You can find the website of its manufacturer and maybe even get it cheaper buying direct.

Precision Industries

They even offer military appreciation discounts.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See this is what makes this website worth its weight in gold. Find something and people find it for you even better. Can't beat experience! Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking Diesel Performance Converters Reman Triple (still has a lifetime warranty, saves money, win win) PI Billet Input, Going to keep the stocker flex plate to make sure that breaks before something internally does, and now VB. Undecided on that. Need help there. I'm trying to get everything I need for way more power than I have so I can be prepared for the day when I do switch to HX35/S366 setup. VB help would be great. Probably mostly daily driver action, but also perhaps a pull or quarter mile.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you find a used flexplate for cheap, you can send it in to Diesel Performance Converters and they will remove the ring so it can be installed on-top of your factory flex plate and you end up with an indestructible double thickness flex plate that still flexes like it should. Used flex plates sell for 20-$50 and I'm sure DPC will remove the ring for another $50, Phil might even cut you a deal since you're buying a converter.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The double thickness laminate plate is interesting. I think I will give that a try before the billet. Either way it should hold more power than I am capable of making at the moment. Big Blue I have a good question for you. Do you 4x4 launch your trucks? Just got me wondering after I've seen all the faster Dodge's do so on their launches. Also, what do you recommend, just shift kit and do valve body myself or get a high performance aftermarket VB? I intend on going compounds over the summer, so I want as good as I can get on the first shot.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The double thickness laminate plate is interesting. I think I will give that a try before the billet. Either way it should hold more power than I am capable of making at the moment. Big Blue I have a good question for you. Do you 4x4 launch your trucks? Just got me wondering after I've seen all the faster Dodge's do so on their launches. Also, what do you recommend, just shift kit and do valve body myself or get a high performance aftermarket VB? I intend on going compounds over the summer, so I want as good as I can get on the first shot.
His junker drag truck is 2wd so no go. But if you have a 4x4 guys are almost always launching in 4x4 with 10-25psi boost. I asked the difference between a shift kit and valvebody from a big named company and they said there is no difference. If you are a good wrench, do the shift kit. If your trans is reasonably healthy, install the triple disc, billet input, and shiftkit and run it as long as long as your clutches/bands can take it.

Semper Fi :engarde: OCS May 2011

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hooah I got OCS in Jan haha. I'm Nat. Guard though. Still in college so Active first was a no go. But back on topic, is the real difference only the little bits and pieces like perhaps on their VB they'll drill a few holes here and there for continuous flow to the VB or something like that? My trans WAS good before I started doing the AFC work. I honestly cannot tell all that much anymore simply because of how much more power is going through it. I suspect when I take off the pan and see what junk is in there (if any) I'll know whether or not I need a full rebuild. I think my 3rd gear might be in some trouble but I'm praying it isn't. Seems like it revs a lot without going at all but that could also be a TC problem or a line pressure problem. We'll see I suppose. Going to do my trans inbetween my interterm and second semester of the year. Should be around $2000 for everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.