Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the general thought is on putting in a built TC with a stock 68RFE.

I am currently running the XRT on 120hp tune. I am not doing any boosted launches, nor am I being real hard on it. I will from time to time get-on-it to have a little fun, but it is not often. mainly because i can't afford a new tranny at this time.

So, would it be a good move to put in a built TC (Goerend or suncoast) with the stock 68RFE? Or is that just going to put more stress on the stock tranny?

I know the built TC's are way better than the stock ones, but if a new TC is just going to help my stock trany blow sooner, then I might as well wait till I can do both.

On the other hand, if the better TC is going to make life easier on my stock tranny, then it would make sense to put it on now. Maybe get a little more life out of the stock tranny, and have a good TC ready to go for the new tranny when it is needed.

thoughts?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am wondering what the general thought is on putting in a built TC with a stock 68RFE.

I am currently running the XRT on 120hp tune. I am not doing any boosted launches, nor am I being real hard on it. I will from time to time get-on-it to have a little fun, but it is not often. mainly because i can't afford a new tranny at this time.

So, would it be a good move to put in a built TC (Goerend or suncoast) with the stock 68RFE? Or is that just going to put more stress on the stock tranny?

I know the built TC's are way better than the stock ones, but if a new TC is just going to help my stock trany blow sooner, then I might as well wait till I can do both.

On the other hand, if the better TC is going to make life easier on my stock tranny, then it would make sense to put it on now. Maybe get a little more life out of the stock tranny, and have a good TC ready to go for the new tranny when it is needed.

thoughts?
In a word. NO! Putting in a better TC with heavy duty lockup clutch will just transfer that much more TQ to the stock geartrain causing it to break faster. The stock Lockup clutch is the weak link put in a performance TC and LUC and the link moves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts