Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyoone know how to wire in the relay for the tc lock up switch?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Just do a search for T C Lock up switch install. Mopar1973Man may have it in his collection and plenty others..

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i followed the directions provided by patracy in the tc lock up sticky and it mentions using a relay to break the ground whenever the brakes are applied to prevent stalling but it doens say which connectors to use on the relay. If i remember right its a double pole double throw relay from radio shack and has like 8 connectors on the bottom of it

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump to the top

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I just done this on my truck. I didnt use a relay, just remember to flip it off. On the middle plug on the PCM (on the firewall) tap into the orange w/ black stripe wire Run a wire to a switch in the cab, and from the switch to a good ground. Take a small piece of wire and put a male wire end on each end and replace the transmission relay with it (in fuse box under hood). Your done.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i already have the switch hooked up and working but wanted to put the relay in also so that it will unlock to downshift out of overdrive

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump to the top

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do not understand how the switch workes. Mabye I do not fully understand what the orange/black wire is. Seems to me that you would need to cut the wire ad a switch between the cut in order to have the switch work.

I have done the mod per the instructions and I could not tell a differance.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
google it you will find better instructions and an explaination.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea...I did that...

Why even bother to post? Your reply (cause it is not a answer) is worthless without info answering the question.

Not trying to be rude but google is how I found out about this mod in the first place.

"The TCC lockup solenoid is engaged by the PCM by grounding the lead to the orange/black wire. By adding in a switched lead to ground, you can overcome what the PCM tells the transmission to do".

I still don't understand.... What lead?

What is the orange/black wire. Is it a hot wire, a ground??? what does it do?

And how will grounding it make a TC lock up?

I guess it is not typical wiring where you have a hot going through a switch. Now you are using the switch to ground something. But I still don't understand...how does adding a splice work rather than cutting the orange/black with and it to the swithc at either side of the switch?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The orange wire w/ black tracer is a ground it is located in the white plug (middle plug) on the PCM (on the fire wall). When your PCM tells the trany its time for lock-up it closes the circuit (grounds) via the orange wire w/ black tracer. If you cut the wire you will have to manually lock-up all the time, via the switch, so you just splice in so it still works under normal opperation.

Reactions: jyatesmp

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump to the top

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
I have read the thread and you have been addequatelly instructed on operation of circuit and how to wire. You may be innocent of electrical circuits and need a buddy. Buy him some beers and Let him do the work before beers. Do not bite the hand that tries to help.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the relay has 8 connectors on the bottom, but which ones am i supposed to use to connct the ground and power from the brakelights?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts