Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see my old thread was deleted for some odd reason???

In any case, for those that remember that thread, the truck has been at the dealer since November 22 due to a bad amplifier, bad steering wheel, bad seat track, and a ticking/tapping noise from the engine. Last time I heard, FCA sent a tech out to the dealer and they started to pull things from the top of the engine. (Valve cover, etc.)

I haven’t talked to them since Christmas, but over a month of down time on a 6,000 mile truck is unacceptable and is eligible for Florida lemon law.

Should I simply tell them I don’t want the truck, or should I just start with the process?

Who has experience with this with FCA?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
What would telling them (the dealer) gain you. I don’t believe it’ll help you at all in fact I believe telling them will hurt you. If I were you I would start the lemon law process, however that might require you getting in touch with FCA ram cares or some other entity within it to start the process. lemon laws are determined by a judge and jury within the manufacture and is by no means fair. This usually means you will likely have to go to arbitration through 3rd party which will interpret Florida’s law and whether or not it’s applicable to the efforts that FCA has put into your truck and trying to fix it.

When I was dealing with this with my Ford super duty, Ford actually declared my truck as a lemon. then their attorneys looked through New Mexico law and found a loophole where they could charge me mileage and incentives. They billed me $26,000 to take back their declared lemon. Clearly my best option was to eat the loss in a trade in value versus pay them even more money to take back their truck that they agreed was a lemon. Needless to say I will not another Ford. This total process for me took eight months and I had made payments on my truck for well over a year and a half. All of which are considered a loss. You might be thinking why didn’t you lawyer up. Fact is the attorneys at Ford built such a tight case and reference New Mexico law that no attorney here would touch it. I’m not saying that’s the same in Florida I’m just saying.

Bottom line it’s not as night and day as it may seem and it’s challenging and arduous and can sometimes take over six to eight months. If you go into this have zero expectations of it being quick. There are exceptions to the rules and maybe you’ll find some and I hope you do but for the most part lemon laws are harder to prove the most think.

One final thought, depending on how a 3rd party or FCA internal could interpret you saying you don’t want your truck anymore could be used against you.

So in conclusion you can call FCA or ram cares and start the lemon process will ask you if that’s what you want to do you say yes then they will start the formal process that’s a rough overview of how it goes but having done this before there are details that are always different for each individual case.

I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
What would telling them (the dealer) gain you. I don’t believe it’ll help you at all in fact I believe telling them will hurt you. If I were you I would start the lemon law process, however that might require you getting in touch with FCA ram cares or some other entity within it to start the process. lemon laws are determined by a judge and jury within the manufacture and is by no means fair. This usually means you will likely have to go to arbitration through 3rd party which will interpret Florida’s law and whether or not it’s applicable to the efforts that FCA has put into your truck and trying to fix it.

When I was dealing with this with my Ford super duty, Ford actually declared my truck as a lemon. then their attorneys looked through New Mexico law and found a loophole where they could charge me mileage and incentives. They billed me $26,000 to take back their declared lemon. Clearly my best option was to eat the loss in a trade in value versus pay them even more money to take back their truck that they agreed was a lemon. Needless to say I will not another Ford. This total process for me took eight months and I had made payments on my truck for well over a year and a half. All of which are considered a loss. You might be thinking why didn’t you lawyer up. Fact is the attorneys at Ford built such a tight case and reference New Mexico law that no attorney here would touch it. I’m not saying that’s the same in Florida I’m just saying.

Bottom line it’s not as night and day as it may seem and it’s challenging and arduous and can sometimes take over six to eight months. If you go into this have zero expectations of it being quick. There are exceptions to the rules and maybe you’ll find some and I hope you do but for the most part lemon laws are harder to prove the most think.

One final thought, depending on how a 3rd party or FCA internal could interpret you saying you don’t want your truck anymore could be used against you.

So in conclusion you can call FCA or ram cares and start the lemon process will ask you if that’s what you want to do you say yes then they will start the formal process that’s a rough overview of how it goes but having done this before there are details that are always different for each individual case.

I hope it works out for you.

Another reason not to live in New Mexico. I had a 2018 F-450 Lariat. Towing heavy with my Voltage toy hauler on a trip to the west coast the engine developed a noticeable tick. Got back and it was diagnosed with a bad injector firing at the cylinder wall. Lots of diesel in the oil. They wanted to replace the short block. One day of email writing (dealer was great, gave me the email addresses of all the right people) and I had a new long block and turbos installed in 4 days. I was shocked when the dealer called and said the truck was ready. It probably helped that I bought it a commercial dealer. Dodge did a buy-back of a 2017.5 mega Cummins. They were easy to deal with as well. Lots of lights but never left me stranded.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the best way to deal with FCA? Call ram cares? Send demand letter?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did the dealer at least give you a suitable loaner truck comparable to yours?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the dealer at least give you a suitable loaner truck comparable to yours?
Nope. I had to go to the dmv and reregister the old 2004.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,413 Posts
What is the best way to deal with FCA? Call ram cares? Send demand letter?
You should have received a small booklet with the rest of the new truck manuals that explains the process and your rights. Also, go to your state's DMV website and read/study the lemon law rules.

Sam

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have received a small booklet with the rest of the new truck manuals that explains the process and your rights. Also, go to your state's DMV website and read/study the lemon law rules.

Sam
Well damn. That's in the truck at the dealer...

I decided to first keep it civil and call ram cares customer service. They have made a case with a case manager. Let's see how this works out.

Reactions: NordicNevs

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What's the engine tapping sound you describe? My 2019 makes a ticking...lifter tick...for a few seconds after it starts. I find it slightly annoying...Cummins can't figure out how to retain oil in a hydraulic lifter?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
What's the engine tapping sound you describe? My 2019 makes a ticking...lifter tick...for a few seconds after it starts. I find it slightly annoying...Cummins can't figure out how to retain oil in a hydraulic lifter?

I understood it as the intermittent DEF injector and or emissions running

I know it’s been discussed in detail and the tick your describing is relatively benign

Also these trucks allow for the oil pump to become audible. The Powerstroke and duramax have had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One mine, I can hear the DEF injector running separately.

My tap/tick comes in around 1700rpm. Also, it only happens if the engine oil is warm which of course worries me.

Easier to hear in person or with headphones. To me it sound sort of like a flexplate rattle or lifter tick...

·
Registered
460 Posts
That sounded good to me. Just like a diesel should, from what I heard.

Diesels make noise. I like the sound and learned long ago to run the darn thing and quit listening to it. Seems , like my old BMW motorcycles, they rap, smack and clack but seem to run forever.

Hope you situation works out, whatever it is.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,413 Posts
Well damn. That's in the truck at the dealer...

I decided to first keep it civil and call ram cares customer service. They have made a case with a case manager. Let's see how this works out.
Having been down the rabbit hole with FCA before......best of luck:thumbsup: Unless they have changed their ways, it will get frustrating....keep your cool, educate yourself about the process, and don't let it eat you up when you get a whiff of the way FCA does it's business. If your case manager is named Fiona:spank:.....look out.

Also, when you are dealing with FCA....not a good time to quit drinkin'....:hehe:

Sam

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh well, let's see how this goes. My case manager is Wilfredo, so maybe that's a good sign.

Gotta get over this flu first though.

Happy New Year fellas:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In talks with FCA at the moment.

In the meantime, I stopped at the dealer to get some of my things out of the truck. The advisor said the valve cover was off, but they had a little more taken apart...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks like they pulled the rocker shaft off after then took the valve cover off. You can see there are 12 rocker arms. Each on pushes on a "bridge" which operates two intake or two exhaust valves. Up through 2018, Cummins did not use hydraulic lifters but rather used solid versions which required occasional adjustment. For the new 2019 motor, hydraulic lifters are employed which would automatically take up the slack between pushrods and ball sockets in the rocker arms. If one or more of the lifters fail, you'll hear a lot of clatter as the push rod slams the ball socket; it also may not fully open the valve which could trigger a check engine light.

It isn't difficult to replace the lifters on this engine and although it shouldn't happen, the problem can be corrected permanently.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Reactions: Boostosaurus

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is going to get a little weird.

I dropped off the truck on 11/22. On 11/26, they told me to pick it up because they couldn't hear anything wrong. I confirmed another truck didn't make the noise and told them to keep mine and fix it.

Today I picked up almost all personal belongings and my dashcam that looks at the road and in the cab.

I found that they HAVE heard the noise since 11/22. FCA is not happy

Reactions: rainman428

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deleted vids

Reactions: BBslider001
1 - 20 of 329 Posts