Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had the tapping / clatter at idle and fast idle and fixed it?

I am at the point now that I hate to drive this truck and when I do I shut it right down. Dealer says it's normal, but I have owned diesels for the past 15 years and never had one that I was embarrassed to leave idling (although this is my first CTD)

3200 miles on it, good oil pressure, nothing in oil, no real clear ID where it is coming from, looking for a direction to start. Almost sounds like a bad fuel pump on a gas V-8.

I have not run the valves yet, noise seems to be coming more from front of the motor than rear. Any common issues or known areas to start?

Also slight vibration at 1000 that clears up with RPM. Anyone have ideas? Love the truck, hate the motor right now, but if I can figure out this noise, life will be good

This is not my truck, but very similar, will try to make a movie today

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Most of these 6.7's are notorious for having a clack noise at idle. Some say it is the timing of the CP3 pump and others have found it to be the valve lash setting due to emissions equipment. I have taken my valve lash down to 5.9 specs and while it did quieten it down, it still has some rattle or clack at idle. Noticed it on mine at around 10k, adjusted my lash and now at 62k truck running strong! Although mine NEVER sounded as bad as the truck in the video........

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of these 6.7's are notorious for having a clack noise at idle. Some say it is the timing of the CP3 pump and others have found it to be the valve lash setting due to emissions equipment. I have taken my valve lash down to 5.9 specs and while it did quieten it down, it still has some rattle or clack at idle. Noticed it on mine at around 10k, adjusted my lash and now at 62k truck running strong! Although mine NEVER sounded as bad as the truck in the video........

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, spent the whole time since I posted reviewing the CP3 phasing post. I think I am going to do that and a valve adjustment next weekend and see what it does

Man would I be happy if it worked, I love the truck but get so frustrated at the sounds this motor makes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine is a lot louder under load at like 1500 rpms as well after the first oil change. I switched to synthetic I haven't noticed the clatter at idle though

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've noticed it as well. When I have time I'm going to bring mine to the local dealer and see if they'll compare another '14 Cummins RAM to mine at idle, as I don't recall hearing it in the G56 truck I test drove the day I bought mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts