Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i need to remove my cam, so i need to hold the tappets up while its out. is there a homebrew moethod of doing this without the cummins tool (3822513, $$$$$$).

would the push rods do the same thing? can i make something out of some wooden dowel?

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've used wooden dowels and or magnets on a bunch of motors. The dowel method it's a pain to get the right size then I use elastics to hold them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Wooden dowels and i have also seen ppl remove the tappet cover, and use hose clamps around the each tappet

$$- SMoKiN.6.GuN -$$

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,050 Posts
1/2" wodden dowls. Sand them to a 45 degree bevel on one end. Tap them into the tappets. Then use a rubber band across each cylinder both push rods.

14" in length will do the job.

·
Registered
308 Posts
wrap a wire tie around each tappet, its worked well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the helpful replies!

is the tappet cover on the driver side of the block?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
1/2" wodden dowls. Sand them to a 45 degree bevel on one end. Tap them into the tappets. Then use a rubber band across each cylinder both push rods.

14" in length will do the job.

I used a hack-saw and cut two cuts, crossing one another the depth the blade is tall so as to allow the dowels to compress without crushing. That and a bevel as Phillip mentioned above.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,050 Posts
Thanks for the pic's BC. :thumbsup:

is the tappet cover on the driver side of the block?
Yes it is. To remove it means take everything off that side of the engine. that means injection pump also.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. The cam gear will not clear the raditor support. So that means removing the cam drive gear or cutting the raditor support for needed room to remove. The cam drive gear is a press fit. To reinstall it you would need to heat it to 350 degrees in an oven for around 30 minutes.

Most people cut the raditor support.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned. The cam gear will not clear the raditor support. So that means removing the cam drive gear or cutting the raditor support for needed room to remove. The cam drive gear is a press fit. To reinstall it you would need to heat it to 350 degrees in an oven for around 30 minutes.

Most people cut the raditor support.
Cut it at the bottom, and simply cut the flanges at the top as show . . . .

Then just swing it up and out of the way of the cam as it's pulled/installed . . .

With completion of the work, I just added a strip of 1" x 1/8" aluminum stock nested inside the support to put it back together. ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used BC's trick when I did my cam install a few months back. Works like a charm. I did have to cut my rear most dowel to clear the firewall in my truck, but it's not a Dodge, so there's the difference.

Make sure to cut the + in the end of the rods with a hacksaw. It makes things much, much easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
i need to remove my cam, so i need to hold the tappets up while its out. is there a homebrew moethod of doing this without the cummins tool (3822513, $$$$$$).

would the push rods do the same thing? can i make something out of some wooden dowel?

Thanks!

Josh
Can you let me know how you held the lifters up on a 6.7 Cummins?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts