Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the normal operating temp for a automatic tranny when unloaded and cruising?

·
Registered
587 Posts
i dont know what normal is but mine runs about 95 and when your going up a hill it has never gotten over 130.I have seen it at 150 pulling a trailer uphill going slow around town.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but is it neccessary to have a tranny temp. guage on a stick?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but is it neccessary to have a tranny temp. guage on a stick?
Now that im not sure of.IMO i wouldnt think so cause manuals dont slip and shift like autos and dont have the torque converter which builds alot of heat.But i could be wrong.

·
1,046 Posts
I could imagine that my tranny being stock, any heavy power would make my clutch just slip which would pretty much not hurt the tranny, just the clutch. With a aftermarket clutch all the power is passing through the tranny which would maybe make it heat up pretty good? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to add a DD clutch soon and I wanna know If I need to add a trans temp guage.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could imagine that my tranny being stock, any heavy power would make my clutch just slip which would pretty much not hurt the tranny, just the clutch. With a aftermarket clutch all the power is passing through the tranny which would maybe make it heat up pretty good? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to add a DD clutch soon and I wanna know If I need to add a trans temp guage.
No No and No. if you plan on buying a clutch designed to slip then yes. otherwise no.

·
1,046 Posts
No No and No. if you plan on buying a clutch designed to slip then yes. otherwise no.
Sounds good to me. :thumbsup Last truck was a D-Max, the auto is a whole different species, so forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i dont know what normal is but mine runs about 95 and when your going up a hill it has never gotten over 130.I have seen it at 150 pulling a trailer uphill going slow around town.
Mine runs about 120 to 150 ish unloaded...

·
Registered
215 Posts
what is the normal operating temp for a automatic tranny when unloaded and cruising?
My sender is in the line after the cooler i see 150 to 170 in unloaded conditions. when im in lock-up it stays around 150

1 - 9 of 9 Posts