Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a transfer case to make a tandem axle pickup. I know USA 6x6 used to make one but they've been out of business for a little bit, and from what I've read I would not buy anything from them... ever.

I searched for but had no luck finding anyone that made a kit like theirs, so I was wondering if anyone on here had an idea. If no one makes one is there a simple way to make my own? Say out of a regular transfer case..

Anyway, lately I've had this urge to build my own (functional) tandem axle pickup. Mostly because it's different, but I also want it to be an awesome workin truck.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
We have done it but its a big job. Everything needs to be hand made in the first rearend pig

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
why dont you just use a through drive differential off of a real tandam axle set up?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Or swap some 2 1/2 ton top load Rockwells. Then you just need a drive shaft to run between the two rear axles.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the 2.5 Ton Rockwells and was looking at trucks online. The problem with them is that they are not geared very well for rolling down the highway and I don't know if they can be re-geared or not. Also unless I'd modify them to fit normal size wheels it would be 3 or so feet off the ground to the cab. Not really an issue if I decide just to make a show/play truck, but I was looking at towing with it too.

If I would use duece and a half axles, I would then have my choice on whatever motor and tranny I would want to run in her vs. a pickup chassis where i'm limited by size and weight.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you dont have to have the rear tandem as a drive you could always put a dead axle in there. Seen this becoming a common practice with southern Road tractors that dont come into the north much. Either way your looking at some time, money, and fabrication.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts