Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it all off but the down pipe. All I see are a couple 10mm clamps. I've loosened the bottom one up and the down pipe/cat is still as tight as can be. What gives? Help please. I want to go blow smoke.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
to get the dp off, you'll need to support the trans w/ something and take the crossmember out...then have someone under the truck hold the dp while you undo the top clamp, and then have them remove the hanger that's bolted to the bellhousing...it'll just drop after that

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
or that if you never plan on going back to stock haha

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or that if you never plan on going back to stock haha
I'd prefer option one because it sounds like I need to drop that crossmember to get the new 5" exhaust on w/o cutting it.

So I just unscrew that 10mm clamp right after the turbo on the downpipe? I unscrewed it some but it's still really tight. Is it a clamp? :banghead:

I'll go see about it again tomorrow morning. In the meantime I installed the tuner and unplugged the EGR in the two places.

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,578 Posts
You will have to remove that clamp completely. Mine was pretty well stuck on there, I used a screwdriver and had a friend wiggle the end of the downpipe while I worked my way around the clamp with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Your 5" will go on with the crossmember installed but the factory one won't come out with the cm installed. You need to loosen the clamp alot. The factory DP can be a pita to get broken loose at the turbo flange so be prepared to fight it. The clamp is a v-band clamp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your 5" will go on with the crossmember installed but the factory one won't come out with the cm installed. You need to loosen the clamp alot. The factory DP can be a pita to get broken loose at the turbo flange so be prepared to fight it. The clamp is a v-band clamp.
Good lord, i thought the rest of it was a pita to get off while being on the ground.

Also i've got the black max installed and when i turn it on its still showing the original owners vin on it. Do i need to update or is it locked? If so how do i get my info on it?

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,578 Posts
uh oh, maybe its vin locked if its still showing his vin in it.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
that sounds like it's locked...email h&s and see if you can get it wiped clean...

and yeah that clamp has to come all the way off, it's a pita to get off and a pita to get back on...so be prepared for that

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that sounds like it's locked...email h&s and see if you can get it wiped clean...

and yeah that clamp has to come all the way off, it's a pita to get off and a pita to get back on...so be prepared for that
That sucks. I even asked him to make sure he uninstalled it correctly and he said he did. I email H&S so we'll see what happens.

So under normal install as soon as you plug it into your truck it will recognize and input the VIN and other vehicle info correct or do you have to do it manually?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I just did this last Wednesday. What worked for me was loosening the V-Band clamp almost all the way out until I was able to get the "T" section out of the clamp. Then I took a really long (36") extension and tapped the lip of the clamp. It popped right off. I did this from above the truck not under. I've also heard of guys taking the inner fender well out to have easier access to it.

Also if you unbolt the head pipe from the rest of the exhaust it make it really easy to get out, once that cross member has been removed.

I was able to keep my whole exhaust intact so putting it back to stock will be easy.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I just did this last Wednesday. What worked for me was loosening the V-Band clamp almost all the way out until I was able to get the "T" section out of the clamp. Then I took a really long (36") extension and tapped the lip of the clamp. It popped right off. I did this from above the truck not under. I've also heard of guys taking the inner fender well out to have easier access to it.

Also if you unbolt the head pipe from the rest of the exhaust it make it really easy to get out, once that cross member has been removed.

I was able to keep my whole exhaust intact so putting it back to stock will be easy.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

Under normal install / download it was input your VIN automatically

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sorry about all the post my computer is acting up.....

·
Registered
748 Posts
You should be able to wipe your SD card completely. Then download the "Complete" SD card from H&S's site. Copy it onto your card. Then take it and put it into your BM, update firmware and then install download.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You should be able to wipe your SD card completely. Then download the "Complete" SD card from H&S's site. Copy it onto your card. Then take it and put it into your BM, update firmware and then install download.
That worked. Got it programmed and set it up with my truck. Ran it into town with just the cat/downpipe on for exhaust and WOW, what a difference. 20 mile trip, mileage was up and power was night and day with "no power" on. Didn't want to run a power setting because it's really cold here (8F).

One thing I did notice was it wasn't reading transmission temperature. I got coolant, boost (no pryo because it's not hooked up) but transmission read zero. Any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts