Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i bought my truck with the steel rocker panel covers and i hate them. it takes away from the electric blue. ive got a heat gun, fishing line, and a rubber wheel and can take them off no problem BUT would should i expect from the paint? im VERY afraid of the paint underneath so im not sure. but i hate them

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be fine. I'd think the worst case is if your paint has faded a little, you may have a fade line. Get some Goo Gone or something similar to remove the glue residue afterwards.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well this has been what i want to hear. im going to do everything i can to make this work. i just dont care for the two tone look and want to be all electric blue. ill probably try and tackle this tomorrow with fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
well this has been what i want to hear. im going to do everything i can to make this work. i just dont care for the two tone look and want to be all electric blue. ill probably try and tackle this tomorrow with fingers crossed
I guess you can always pick up the right adhesive and re apply the chrome if you dont like the results...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess you can always pick up the right adhesive and re apply the chrome if you dont like the results...
yeah i thought about that as well shouldnt be too hard.

·
Registered
168 Posts
okay, so i bought my truck with the steel rocker panel covers and i hate them. it takes away from the electric blue. ive got a heat gun, fishing line, and a rubber wheel and can take them off no problem BUT would should i expect from the paint? im VERY afraid of the paint underneath so im not sure. but i hate them
I had the same thing on my truck...I used spider wire fishin line and it would just snap the line and that's with a heat gun turned up to about 1100 degrees...my advise would be to either go buy a pack of cheap guitar strings because they have different size of gauges of wires an the thicker one has the small groves that will make it a little easier to cut behind the rocker but again those are metal...they are a huge pain to get off and by the time i got one off I was not happy by no means how the paint looked so I had the line'x. Get some 3m adhesive remover and spray behind the rockers covers and let them soak for about 20 mins, then go out with a heat gun ad heat about 8-9 inches of the panel and then reapply adhesive, after that get your line or whatever you decide to use and start working the heated portion of the panel and alternate between 3m, heat, and string. Good luck with it

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah i thought about that as well shouldnt be too hard.
Also, once you take the panel off it will be so distorted from pulling on it trying to get it off that it won't be able to be reapplied.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it def. makes me nervous. but i really dont care for them!!! i wonder what a paint job on rockers would cost if needed

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
well it def. makes me nervous. but i really dont care for them!!! i wonder what a paint job on rockers would cost if needed
I had a few spots/dings/dog scratches touched up at the local body shop and it really was pretty reasonable

Minus the price of the Red gloss paint :doh: (which I think is more costly than other colors?)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well ive bought alot of detailing products. hopefully i can get it looking relatively well. ,im not sure how long these have been on but i just cant deal with them anymore. i tried to deal with it. but i simply cant

·
Registered
130 Posts
i took mine off and it didnt leave any ghosting. and the paint underneath was still in perfect shape

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well this was much harder than expected. it took HOURS to get the passenger side off. alot of heatgun, adhesive remover, string, elbow grease but i finished the one side. paint wasnt bad. a few scratches, a couple bubble spots im not pumped about. but it wasnt too bad. gonna do the drivers side tomorrow

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bubble spots as in rust coming thru?
..unfortunately yes.... im already saving to get it fixed :( finished the second side (which was MUUUCH better than the passenger side) looking great now (although tons of people tell me i shouldve left em on)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.