Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the tailgate strong enough to load a motorcycle plus rider (700 pounds), with a ramp on the tailgate, or does tailgate have to be removed to set ramp directly on the bed.

I ask this because on the Tundra forum, all their tailgates are falling apart from loading bikes, quads, etc.

2008 Ram 2500 reg/ cab.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I loaded a BMW 650 Dual Sport in mine, but I walked it up the ramp...the tech at the BMW dealer rode it up there with no probs...that was probably about 500 lbs total.

I'm loading up a buddy's new bike tomorrow to ferry home for him.

·
HI
3,440 Posts
our tailgates will hold alot more than any TOY will.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I loaded a Sportsman with me on it (Dry weight 700 lbs plus me) so I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also loaded my new honda rancher several times already, no problems other than the dents from the ramps!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i put the 1500 tailgate spoiler on to help with the dents. i ride sportbikes and dirtbikes up my ramps all the time. it can handle it

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
yeah it is good, I have loaded my 660 grizzly loaded with my fat on it all the time, no problems.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It better be ok, I didn’t buy a 3500 so that I could worry about how much weight was too much for the tail gate.

·
Registered
838 Posts
dad used to haul full 55 gallon oil drums in his '90 with 2 or three on the tail gate, held up just fine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I loaded a ninja 250 + rider using some wood as a ramp, no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Built RAM tough! it seems.

The tailgate thread on the Tundra forum was 25+ pages last time I looked. Toyota's company policy was that that kind of loading was "abuse", and tailgate should have been removed, but after months of haggling with customer service, they decided to repair them, reluctantly. There may be a redesign in the works too. I guess they found it's easier to do it right the first time then have to fix them all. Very bad for Toyo company image.

It's the main reason I went from Tundra back to Ram CTD.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
110 Posts
the tailgate is strong enough to handle anything your probably gonna put on it, but be careful throwing square bales on the wrong part of it. mines already dented in the middle, just make sure the bale doesnt land right in the middle of the tailgate.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I loaded my truck with a pallet of 12" split face Winsor retaining wall block. The pallet weighed a little over 3200 lbs. I got on it a little too much and had the whole dang thing fall off onto my tail gate. One little dent about 1/8" deep was all that happened. I left about a dozen bricks sitting in the road. It was pretty darn embarrassed but also very proud that the truck runs that good. I'd say "It sure isn’t made like a ford."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts