Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m wanting to change out all my lights to smoked/black ,I have the headlights, cab lights , 3rd brake light, now I`m looking for the tail lights. I weird I like the bubble look, but no one make any aftermarket bubble lights for the 2007-2009 2500-3500 trucks, at least I can`t find any, you can find them for the 2001-2006 trucks. Anyway I found a guy on ebay who tints them black/smoked, and I know I could / maybe do my own titning on them , but not sure how that would turn out? Or just buy some flat style smoked/black aftermarket ones. So if you have any input and pictures of your modified stock tail lights or you aftermarket tail lights post up and help me out!! :thumbsup: Thanks !!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got my smoked tail lights from Custom Auto Lighting on Ebay, that guy does a great job with painting them! I had him leave the backup lights clear and I put some LED reverse lights in them, those suckers are bright! Here's with and without the brakes on,

Reactions: loghomeman

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that guy on ebay, he does a really good job!! Thanks for posting up!! :thumbsup: Those look great on your truck!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump! Surely someone else has done something to the tail lights? Come on help me out!! I did do a search, but not much on tail lights.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I recommend tinting them yourself with VHT night shades spray tint. Easy as cake to do and they turn out great if you follow all the steps. There is a very detailed video on Youtube on how to do it, they guy is even using a Dodge tail light in the vid.

I personally don't like the "afterburner" tail lights so I would replace them with the older style first, then buy 1 can of VHT and 1 can of Krylon for Plastic clear coat. I did three coats of VHT, then 4 coats of Krylon clear. It will be rough when you get finished. I then got some Meguirs rubbing compound and went to town on each light for maybe ten minutes. Came out glossy, looks awesome and they have not faded, chipped, anything. Did it 1.5 years ago and it still looks great. Great mod for $15 or so.

Here is pic of them. I wouldn't go more than 3 light coats on it. They still light up very bright and I haven't had any trouble with the cops.

And a closer shot.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^^^ SWEEEET!! They look great!! Thanks for the input!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks!

I did the amber reflectors inside my headlights right after I got the truck. Was a bit more hesitant on doing the taillights as they are exposed to the weather. But they have held up awesome and look just as good as the day I painted them.

Definitely a good cheap mod that looks nice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It isn't too bad. There are two ways of going about it.

1. You can put the whole headlight in the oven and bake it until the glue gets soft then just pry it apart.

2. You can use a heat gun, heat the seam and pry apart as you go.

I went with the heat gun method, I have done this before on other headlights and I like it better. Easier to keep the heat where you want it and not have to worry about heating other things too much.

The glue softens pretty easily, then I just used a flat tip screwdriver and worked my way around.

The amber pieces can be a pita to get out, the little tabs that hold them in can break very easily. I ended up breaking one or two so I just glued the amber piece back in after I tinted it.

Then I used some black silicone and ran a new bead around the headlight to seal it back up. I then ran another bead of silicone over the top of that to be sure they were sealed, if they aren't fully sealed they will get condensation in them.

Only other thing to watch is the "chrome" inside the headlight is very fragile. I was rubbing a finger print off with a sunglasses cleaning towel and rubbed a little bit of the chrome off, was crazy how easy it came off.

Anyway, pretty easy to get done and looks much better IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same lights as BD2351 on my white 08 and got some for my dad's charcoal 09. we both like the "bubble" look too. I bought mine on eBay but got my dad's directly from his website and they were a little cheaper. Great lights and he ships them very fast

:thumbsup: Custom Auto Lighting - Professionally Smoked OEM Tail Lights

·
Registered
251 Posts
The lights look great. Do you have any pictures of tail lights lit up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I don't atm but I can get some. Didn't make too much of a difference as I only used 3 light coats. Any more and it might have gotten me in trouble.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have considered it but am afraid that just doing one coat might not come out evenly, 2 coats might be too dark.

Check our LaminX, it is a film that is designed to go over headlights, light enough that it works for headlights, goes on like a vinyl wrap I guess. You can get pieces that are pre-cut to fit Ram headlights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts