Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apoligize in advance if this is in the wrong section. But i need some electrical experience here. Just got the camper out of storage this weekend and i have a problem with the passanger side brake light and turn signal (parking or running light works but its dim). Every other light works properly including the driver side brake/turn/parking lights. I tested both sides with a voltmeter and they seem to have proper voltage to both sides on both terminals (two wires going into the light, green and black) Its grounded by a spring when you push the bulb in and give it a quarter turn. So at this point im lost on what the problem is. I bought two brand new bulbs but made no difference. Everything worked fine when i put it away for the winter last november. Its covered under warranty, its just a hassle and alot of fuel to take it back to the dealer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds like possible ground problem. Is it a one wire socket, grounding to the chassis, or two wire, carrying ground wire back to front?

If one wire, try running a sheet metal screw into one of the rivets holding the light to the chassis. That will reground the light.

If two, you will need to try to find problem.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
You can also look inside the light socket and see if its corroded and try to clean it with some sandpaper or steel wool.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like possible ground problem. Is it a one wire socket, grounding to the chassis, or two wire, carrying ground wire back to front?

If one wire, try running a sheet metal screw into one of the rivets holding the light to the chassis. That will reground the light.

If two, you will need to try to find problem.
Its a two wire, one for turn signal/ brake and one for running/parking lights. The socket is grounded when you push the bulb in and turn it a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can also look inside the light socket and see if its corroded and try to clean it with some sandpaper or steel wool.
Its open to where there is no corosion or anything. But good thought.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
It doesnt have to be open when its one of those kind of sockets. The socket itself could have pushed bigger and not making contact. Have had that happen too. Those things aren really air tight and will corrode when sitting for a long time. not sure how but they do

·
Registered
792 Posts
It doesnt have to be open when its one of those kind of sockets. The socket itself could have pushed bigger and not making contact. Have had that happen too. Those things aren really air tight and will corrode when sitting for a long time. not sure how but they do
That is why, if a riveted on fixture, put a screw into the rivet, or drill out the rivet, and screw then. If the whole fixture is loose on the chassis, you lose your ground, unless there is a separate ground wire, which it sounds like there is not. Most do not.

I have fixed a number of lights this way on a number of trailers. Try it, cheap and easy. If it does not work, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
413 Posts
sounds like problem I had earlier. look on back of bumper for the 4 flat wire connector. bet it corroded to pieces and grounding out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive also had this problem. Look in the fuse box. There are trailer light fuzes in there. Took me forever to figure that one out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive also had this problem. Look in the fuse box. There are trailer light fuzes in there. Took me forever to figure that one out.
Yeah i did happen to think of that and checked but the fuses were fine. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I will try them tomorrow and see what i come up with. I think the metal bracket where the bulb pushes in is screwed in and not riveted but ill double check. I didn't think there was a four pin connector on the back of a trailer??

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im starting to think that my electrical problem is with my truck and not the trailer. Im going to confirm this later. By hooking to a trailer that i know works as far as lights go. My original problem was the passanger side brake and turn signal did not work. Well a week later i hooked back up to the trailer and NO lights worked except the driver side brake and turn signal. This really confused me and seemed strange. Has anyone had problems with the plug on the back of the truck going bad?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it's burning it can not be a fuse. Almost every time you have dime lights it's going to be a ground.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
subscribed, i'm having a running light issue on mine and want to refer to this for some of the ideas that have been talked about

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well between a friend and i we were able to figure it out. We tested the 7 way plug and had 12 volts on just the driver side turn and brake light. Nothing else worked. It ended up being the 4-way plug that was just behind the bumper was completely corroded and had split wires in the harness. Fixed it up and problem was solved. Thank you everyone for all your ideas and help. 63boxtop what are the symptoms are you having?

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I bought a GN flatbed that had the left side light missing , so I bought those and wired them up an then lost the running lights that were working previously. I have all turn/brake lights and flashers

I might check the fuse thing out tonight I know it's not the truck because I plugged another truck up to it and have the same results

·
Registered
413 Posts
sounds like problem I had earlier. look on back of bumper for the 4 flat wire connector. bet it corroded to pieces and grounding out.
Well between a friend and i we were able to figure it out. We tested the 7 way plug and had 12 volts on just the driver side turn and brake light. Nothing else worked. It ended up being the 4-way plug that was just behind the bumper was completely corroded and had split wires in the harness. Fixed it up and problem was solved. Thank you everyone for all your ideas and help. 63boxtop what are the symptoms are you having?
I've seen this a lot with these trucks lately.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a GN flatbed that had the left side light missing , so I bought those and wired them up an then lost the running lights that were working previously. I have all turn/brake lights and flashers

I might check the fuse thing out tonight I know it's not the truck because I plugged another truck up to it and have the same results
Sounds like maybe the ground wire and hot wire got crossed maybe? Recheck your connections and if it still doesnt work. Take out the new light you installed and check to see if you have the other original running lights back to working order. If so double check the new light and try again. If the original lights dont work check the fuse box on the truck for the trailer lights. Hope this helps, let me know how it works.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen this a lot with these trucks lately.
Yeah me too.. and the worst part about it is i had already redone that wiring harness once before. And it obviously didnt hold up.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Sounds like maybe the ground wire and hot wire got crossed maybe? Recheck your connections and if it still doesnt work. Take out the new light you installed and check to see if you have the other original running lights back to working order. If so double check the new light and try again. If the original lights dont work check the fuse box on the truck for the trailer lights. Hope this helps, let me know how it works.
already done, this also happens when another truck is hooked up to the trailer also. i removed the new lights and returned it to the configuration when i purchased , when the running lights worked, and they still wouldn't work , so i'm looking for a short or ground issue on the trailer, although its insulted with conduit, so i'll just keep looking around

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
foun my issue, a loose connector about as the flatbed portion starts, rplaced connector and all is good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts