Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tachometer problems...

7414 7
The Tach in my truck jumps around while at idle and high idle. Anyone else's does this?

While idleing it will drop to show 600 or so...and then just randomly jump up to 750 or so where it should be. It's weird, and I can't really explain it...

When going to high idle, it will stop around 800 or so, then jump to 1200 for a second, then back down to 1100 where it should be.

Engine RPM's are consistant with idle and high-idle, so it's definately something with the tach and/or computer...

It doesn't do it all the time...just complety random...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds expensive. Thanks for the information though. If it ever gets to the point of not working, an AutoMeter will take it's place...

· Registered
11 Posts
I also had this problem with the tach bouncing around and then I had the faulty multifunction switch replaced under warranty (turn signals not working right, wipers had a mind of their own), and I have not had a problem with my tach since. I know it may be a coincidence but I no longer have a problem with my tach.

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to remove them and clean them and the contacts (once this weather warms up! Brrrrr!)

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a intermittent problem with my tach, it will read zero at idle and then as soon as I get about half way through the RPM range, my tach pegs out at max. It doesnt do this all the time, sometimes it works just fine. I know it isnt the computer because my banks system has a engine RPM readout that gets its input from the computer and it reads fine even when the tach is acting up, so it has to be something in the cluster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.