Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 F350 CCLB ZF5, 191 DV, 4kgsk, AFC mods, DFI 5x14 SAC, HX40, 2095 plug, studs, springs and more
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. 97 5.9 12v in a 97 F350 with a 93 F350 dash harness and instrument cluster. Never got the tach going. Can't justify spending $400 for DCS tach kit. What are the best options out there? Still have the original 97 Cummins sensor and pigtail if I could figure something out there, but that requires using the dodge pcm. What's out there for options cheaper than a $400 kit? I've done most of this truck without spending the plug and play money, just have to solve this tach puzzle now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You would need to make a sprocket type wheel for the front of the crank with 6 teeth and mount the sensor to pickup the passing of the teeth. If you can't cut one out of a piece of flat steel, maybe get a chain sprocket and remove all but 6 teeth, evenly spaced. It would need to run true, the air gap will be in thousands of an inch.

·
Registered
97 F350 CCLB ZF5, 191 DV, 4kgsk, AFC mods, DFI 5x14 SAC, HX40, 2095 plug, studs, springs and more
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 teeth give the signal for which specific sensor/gauge?

·
Registered
306 Posts
A tach sensor. I had one in my F250 Cummins, sorry I don't remember who made it. Basically you have to research what the tach in your dash is looking for in a signal, then duplicate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts