Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 has been doing this strange thing intermittantly:
The tachometer will start jiggling down and even rest at 0 while at a light. Usually pops back up and even reads right when you accelerate. The amp meter is also going left when this happens.
What I notice is that the truck has a hard time shifting into high gears when the tach is doing this and even drops out of overdrive at high speeds.
TDR's current issue mentions it possibly is something with a fuse.
Anyone else dealt with something like this?
Find it odd that something that appears electrical or alternator related would make the truck shift strange.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Yes, electrical problems can cause odd shifting. Check your crank sensor, down by the balancer. It should be about a playing card thickness from the balancer.
Check the wires for it, sometimes they wear through and short out.
Also check your battery connections, especially the ground connections.

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Sounds like a short :w:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, man. My one buddy is pretty good with electrical stuff. I'll have to share this info with him.
Kinda freaked me out when this started some time ago. I've added a few power upgrades and thought my trans was going at first.

Yes, electrical problems can cause odd shifting. Check your crank sensor, down by the balancer. It should be about a playing card thickness from the balancer.
Check the wires for it, sometimes they wear through and short out.
Also check your battery connections, especially the ground connections.

·
Registered
861 Posts
it could be a bad crank sensor. just a thought, which could mess up shift points. or the crank sensor (which is the rpm gauge) is not gapped properly and giving false readings. the gap on it should be .049-.051 i believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts