Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tachometer is not workin right .checked the teeth for the crank sensor and cleaned them and the sensor. the crank sensor is the sending unit right? tach shows 200 rpm at idle should be 750rpm it still moves up and down but shows different rpms goin down the road sometimes 2200 sometimes 2700 at 70mph. i have a 2006 1 ton big horn dually 6 speed. I would appreciate any help on this situation :banghead:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with an 06 2500 6sp. sometimes it'll read fine. Shows 200-300 at idle though it sounds normal, more annoying than anything else really. Would appreciate any help or ideas on this. Thanks

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,750 Posts
I had that same issue and ended up buying a whole new cluster and problem solved. Now my engine temp gauge is broken and stays pegged all the way to the right. Thanks MOPAR! :hehe: :lol4:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same problem in my 06 manual megacab. Is a new instrument cluster the only fix? How much did you pay for yours?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine does the same thing to. Have you seen it go all the way around yet and start reading backwards. I laugh evertime it happens. Most of the time mine dont read at all. But mines an auto so i dont worrie about it. Id be pissed if it was a stick. Guy at the dealer Friday told me the cluster was $400

·
Registered
56 Posts
my edge monitor has a tach in it so I am using it for now. I guess I'll put up with it, I really don't want to dole out $400 for the cluster when only the tach is messed up.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mine does the same thing to. Have you seen it go all the way around yet and start reading backwards. I laugh evertime it happens. Most of the time mine dont read at all. But mines an auto so i dont worrie about it. Id be pissed if it was a stick. Guy at the dealer Friday told me the cluster was $400

I have the exact same problem. I went through the self-check procedures that someone recommended on here and the tach didn't sweep as it was supposed to do. I'm looking now for a place around here to see if they can repair it instead of shelling out 400$ for a new one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow!

I thought it was only me with this problem. I see my tach causing more problems with the truck than it should. My edge will not work at all when my tach starts to act up. It's starting to drive me crazy. I put the edges RPM display on my Attitude and I will see 4000 RPM on the trucks tach and 2200 on the edge. This is just nuts. I really hope it's a more simply fix than a whole new cluster. By the way edge has replaces my juice 3 times and wiring harness twice. So now they say it must be my truck. I also have no codes at all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a friend with an 06' Mega cab with the same tach problem. That's actually why I was on here today, to look for a cure for his truck. I'm sure he's not going to be happy when I tell him that it'll cost $400.00 to fix it.

TR

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 06 does the same thing, i just live with it cause here in Alberta i was told $550 from stealerships. Funny thing is it started acting up as soon as dodge reprogramed my ECM. But its not there problem as they say

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
mine does it too but i just drive by ear anyway

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 06 megacab hemi does it also
i noticed seems like a lot of megas
have this problem

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Can't believe nobody has chimed in yet about the countless threads in the past about this. It has been a common problem for the '06, and everyone says it takes a cluster change to fix it. You might try searching for something like 06 tach or 06 gauges. I would do it for you but I am in a campground and feeling rather lazy. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
souds like dodge needs to do a recall on this cause i also have a one ton big horn auto where the tach has a mind of its own

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
souds like dodge needs to do a recall on this cause i also have a one ton big horn auto where the tach has a mind of its own
:hehe::hehe::hehe: dodge wont recall anything unless they are forced too, or it saves them a big lawsuit issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had mine replaced under good faith warranty last month, cost $50. I brought it to their attention before the warranty was up. The tach would dip to 300rpm once a month or so, so it wasn't something they could duplicate easily. After about 6 months it started doing it every day. I took it back about 5 months out of warranty and was able to duplicate it for them. They said they had never seen this issue before. The service manager even looked in their special forums and tsb's and found nothing related to the cluster. They wouldn't touch the truck unless they or I could show them what it was doing in person. Kinda frustrating since it was intermittent and it produced no codes.

Brad

·
Registered
56 Posts
The tach problem on my truck doesn't affect my edge's performance at all, thankfully. And once I am at speed the tach will settle in close to the correct rpm, at least according to the juice monitor. But as I run the engine up that sucker will go well past 3000! Gotten to where I pretty much ignore it unless I am cruising at speed and trying to get good mileage. My work truck is an 06 longbed quadcab and doesn't have this issue, similar milage on the odometer too. Go figure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
a buddy of mine had the same problem with his 06 one ton and they replaced the gauge cluster under his extended warranty

·
Registered
104 Posts
MY 06 is also showing signs of erratic tach readings, I'm noticing a trend here.... Mine drops to 500. I hit the dash and it pops back to 750. I suspect a cold solder joint in the tach circuit in the cluster. If I get real bored some day I may pull it and reheat a few connections

1 - 20 of 98 Posts