Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was driving down the road and all of the sudden the truck stopped moving, and just rev'd. I think my friend may have hit the t-case so it was in between 2H and N. Could that have been the problem? Cause then I threw the tranny into neutral and put the t-case in 4H and it moved.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sounds exactly like it to me.

you may want to get under there and check to see if there is any leaking or cracks going on, other than that you should be fine as long as you slowed down and put it in hi range. can you now put it back in 2wd normal?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gonna check tomorrow, should you hear the transition from 4H to 2H? Because I have a hard time figuring out which ratio i'm in.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,578 Posts
Most of the time you won't notice the difference between 2H and 4H. If you do a hard turn you might feel a the steering wheel wobble just a hair from u-joint bind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i dont know your t-case but everything ive had i could always tell just by the stick location which range it was in. do you have locking hubs, if you do unlock them and get into a position where you can see the front driveshaft without getting run over and have someone move the vehicle a little bit, if the front drive shaft moves then you are in 4wheel, if not then you are in 2wd. if you have autolocking hubs you might get away with jacking up all 4 corners and doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If the front driveshaft comes up through the floor and says " hi " you might be in 4 wheel drive. Make sure you figure it out. Driving in 4 wheel on hard surface is murder on stuff. Also unlock hubs and put in what you think is 2 wheel and make sure the truck moves under own power and then ( with hubs unlocked ) try to spin front driveshaft. It sould spin free. On one of my 89's the linkage gets kinda stuck and frozen up. Lube the shift rods and piviot bolts. Once things move freely it is easier to " tell " what your in by feel of the stick.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ok so i was driving down the road and all of the sudden the truck stopped moving, and just rev'd. I think my friend may have hit the t-case so it was in between 2H and N. Could that have been the problem? Cause then I threw the tranny into neutral and put the t-case in 4H and it moved.
Does your 4WD light work? The easiest way to tell 4HI from 2HI is with the light. Just push the shifter up a little at a time until the light goes out.

Yes that is a possibility, I would say more of a probability actually. There is a fork that moves a gear that slips over another gear in your transfer case to shift between 2 and 4 and hi and low. If shifting gear is just barely on the shaft gear it really doesn't take much to slip it off.

That might be more information than you were looking for, but I thought of that after I had already typed it out, so I'll just leave it :lol3:

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts