Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 6" lift on my 94 ctd 2500, ide like to rotate the t-case with an indexing ring.. but its a new thing to me! never installed one, is it a huge job? difficult? i would like for this double cardan joint to last longer than the last one when it exploded and cost me $430 bucks to get the back half of the driveshaft fixed!! plus it might ease up on my pinion angle on the front diff! thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any input?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Looks like i will be buying the skyjacker 7" lift pretty soon. It comes with the indexing ring...

Looks like its a simple job. Unbolt tcase, drop it, bolt on indexing ring, install some sort of adapter/seal in the tranny, bolt it all back up.

But now that i think of it, i dont recall them mentioning anything about the shifting linkage. Their has got to be some modification there...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you get it done.... shed some light on it for the rest of us in the dark. It does seem simple, i just like knowing what im getting myself into before hand... in the event theres a trick here and there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is a reasonably simple job if you have a tranny jack. Just seperate the tranny and t-case, the ring has countersunk holes in the regular spots and another set of studs in the new mounting position. The spacer goes in to hold the seals in place as the ring sets the t-case back material thickness( about 1/2" or so), which also helps the angles a little as well. It works well, but I need to rotate farther because of my height. Unfortunately to get the extra drop I am going to have to adjust my tranny crossmember for clearance. The Skyjacker one works as is without further modification though. As far as I know there is no extra bits for the linkage, may just need a slight adjustment to assure proper engagement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome!! thanks mudslinger! Now dumb question.... i found a index ring for 80 bucks, greatlakesoffroad on ebay makes them and sells them for that price, but there for a np241... is that compatible with a NV241 which i have in my truck? im by no means a t-case expert so i wasnt sure if there was even a difference?

·
Registered
254 Posts
awesome!! thanks mudslinger! Now dumb question.... i found a index ring for 80 bucks, greatlakesoffroad on ebay makes them and sells them for that price, but there for a np241... is that compatible with a NV241 which i have in my truck? im by no means a t-case expert so i wasnt sure if there was even a difference?
Hmm, not sure, does it come with the "seal spacer" too. You might need to get one machined if it doesn't, to prevent the seal from leaking between the t-case and tranny. You could probubky just seal the mating surface between the two as they share the same fluid, but it would make maintenance pretty messy...

·
Registered
254 Posts
On second thought, only a guess but being that the studs would have to line up to mate the tranny, I would think that the connection would have to be the same, but that is just speculation. I am personally going to get new holes machined into the ring further around for more drop, I just have to adjust my crossmember for clearance first. I was going to get a high angle CV, but the local shop advised against that saying that the "full time" hubs would chew them up running them all the time. Gotta love an honest shop that is after your best interest instead of bleeding you dry replacing parts!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just FYI as well, the ring in my truck is the ring from the 7"Skyjacker kit, it can be ordered seperately for a little over $200 with the ring, hardware and spacer...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, not sure, does it come with the "seal spacer" too. You might need to get one machined if it doesn't, to prevent the seal from leaking between the t-case and tranny. You could probubky just seal the mating surface between the two as they share the same fluid, but it would make maintenance pretty messy...
i dont think it comes with a seal spacer, ill have to ask the guy. As for just sealing the mating surfaces, my truck is a 5 spd. So i have 80 90 in the trans, and ATF in the t-case.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i dont think it comes with a seal spacer, ill have to ask the guy. As for just sealing the mating surfaces, my truck is a 5 spd. So i have 80 90 in the trans, and ATF in the t-case.
Ah, I see you will need to do something there then...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Has anyone indexed an automatic transmission/transfer case? Superlift Indexing Ring says manual transmission only.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yea I was wondering about the Rize kit-it is is supposed to come with a drop bracket and index ring-does an auto need both?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts