Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
switching to synthtic

How many miles/kms did you all wait to switch over to a amsoil synthetic? I was bs'n with my service manager yesterday, and he told me to wait till at least 40 000km or 25000mls before I did.

·
Registered
404 Posts
At 25,000 km I installed Petro-Canada synthetic oil. Had a new flash done at the same and left for Las Vegas the next day. Truck completely intact. Got poor fuel mileage (14 mpg) on the overhead. I think something became disconnected and my mileage went up close to 20 (overhead) at 110 kph. On the way back at 120 it gave me around 18.5. It is also goes into re-gen about every 3 to 400 kms. Overall it is running great. I think that I got the best ever mileage on a long trip.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I ran my truck to 5,000 kms changed to synthetic. I changed it again at 10,000 kms and then every 10,000 kms there after.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Synthetic Motor Oil

I switched at 4500 miles and i believe that the Synthetic motor oil has more consistent quality than the Dino Blends on the market! I have had no issues since the shift, Even had the dealership change it once. The lead mechanic wanted to know what oil was in my truck because of how smooth it runs. I now have 19575 miles and have run it for about 18 months. I still change the oil at 6 months or 7500 miles to keep the waranty requirements met!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I switched to synthetics with 50,000 on the drivetrain and 5,000 on the engine. The axle gear lube was nasty, it looked like the engine oil from my old chevy.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I switched at 10K miles.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
switched everything over at 15k

·
Registered
466 Posts
as soon as I get rid of the egr, i'll feel better about going that long between changes.

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
what brand are you using, i went mobil 1 synthetic with a quart of lucas
Mobil 1 and a quart of Lucas, looks like mixing synthetic with petrolium, why?

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
lucas sales a synthetic or petrolium, anyway just partial to lucas i guess
With most that I read hear the guys here the appear to be partial to amsoil. Its all good, me I stay away from additives but my brother-in-law swears by Lucas. He is a big rig trucker with millions of miles on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Getting ready to do an oil change here at 20K miles from Amsoil 5W30 synthetic to Amsoil 15W40 synthetic.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts