Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 6K miles too early to change to synthetic motor oil? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I change mine at 7500 to 10,000

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My post was pretty unclear now that I look back at it. My question is can you change over to synthetic motor oil from convential motor oil with only 6K total miles on the truck, or does it need more break in miles before switching to synthetic? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think I read on the cummin`s site that you should waite till 20,000 miles thats what I did and it seem`s okay, worked for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would wait till 10K or so

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking it might need more breakin than 6K before switching to synthetic. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
992 Posts
i agree, break in the engine a bit on conventional, then swap to synthetic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
discount power the 5w30 hdd is ok to run in a 6.7 with the dpf still in ?

·
Registered
602 Posts
No sir. The Amsoil DEO series 5W-40 CJ-4 is what you need. Until you toss the DPF you can not use the HDD series or any other.

You would still use the same EaO80 filter.

Note: On this product for your application....

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil is recommended for use according to the longest service interval established by the engine, vehicle or equipment manufacturer. Drain intervals may be extended when monitored by oil analysis.

AMSOIL Ea™ and Donaldson Endurance™ full flow oil filters are designed for extended drain intervals. They stop smaller particles, have less restriction and last longer than regular filters. For best performance use AMSOIL Ea™ or Donaldson Endurance™ oil filters.

Larry

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
You might want to get in touch with Chuck....DuluthDiesel. I get all of my oil from him, and I know I have a 5.9L, but I made the switch to Synthetic with 5,000 miles on the truck. He said it wouldnt hurt it a bit, so he should have the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My post was pretty unclear now that I look back at it. My question is can you change over to synthetic motor oil from convential motor oil with only 6K total miles on the truck, or does it need more break in miles before switching to synthetic? Thanks for any info.
What is breaking in? Rings are seated and camshaft ran in from the factory....Bearings have a wear pattern on them within 100 miles. So what are you breaking in? It isn't the motor.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
You might want to get in touch with Chuck....DuluthDiesel. I get all of my oil from him, and I know I have a 5.9L, but I made the switch to Synthetic with 5,000 miles on the truck. He said it wouldnt hurt it a bit, so he should have the answer you are looking for.
Yea, go get a hold of Deluth, because as an Amsoil dealer myself.... I most likely have no F'ing clue what I am talking about.

People.

I was giving him the answers he asked for and giving him true and direct replies. Why would you come in under me and try to push him away to another dealer. Thats the BS on forums that really jerks a supporting vendors chain.

Sorry for getting mad, but that was really F'ing rude.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Yea, go get a hold of Deluth, because as an Amsoil dealer myself.... I most likely have no F'ing clue what I am talking about.

People.

I was giving him the answers he asked for and giving him true and direct replies. Why would you come in under me and try to push him away to another dealer. Thats the BS on forums that really jerks a supporting vendors chain.

Sorry for getting mad, but that was really F'ing rude.
I dont think that was rude. He only recommended Chuck because thats who he gets it from. I do too. I am sure you want your customers to refer people to you when then need a product you offer. In mosts of the posts about synthetic oil i have seen, Chuck responds to them, and i havent seen you respond as much. I believe people can recommend whoever they wish without being rude. And as you said, many people have many opinions about this, so why not get everyones?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I got my Cummins replaced last November and the Cummins certified tech at the Dodge dealer told me that Cummins wants the engine ran in with only light towing if any for 500 miles. He told me that after that, wait until 2,000 miles and change the oil/filter and let'er rip.

I waited 5,000 miles before I loaded any tunes.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Yes, you can. Cummins states that you can switch over at your first oil change interval.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would any of you Amsoil guys ship me a couple of EAO80 oil filters to the UK for my 05 CTD?

I can get the oil here, though it's real expensive, $250 for 3 gallons but i cant get the filters.

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts