Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I serviced my front and rear differentials today and refilled them both with Amsoil Synthetic severe gear oil sae 75W140. I am looking mostly for improved MPG's. What do ya'll think? Anyone done this and saw a difference? Maybe I should have used the money to get another tank of that over priced fuel................:$:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
IIRC the diff on a 04.5 come with syn. gear oil. I maybe wrong.
I don't think you will see an increase in mpg going to thicker oil. I switched mine to schaeffer's 75w-90 syn. awhile back and it did not help. The engine swap helped about .5 to .8 mpg. Going to synthetic 5w - 40.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm running Amsoil i the rear end, did not notice any gains.. truck runs smoother and its good piece of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you are right. They do have synthetic fill from the factory. Diesel is so high, I would smear dog crap on the windows if I thought it would help. Thanks guys !! :lol3:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey 2Rowdy ! What name brand oil are you using ?? No problems with the 5W30 oil ?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hey norwood dodge not to but in but my dad is runnin 5w-30 amsoil with a bypass kit and has 60,000 miles on the same oil every anylasis comes back good so if it work in a bigrig it should work in your pickup also he seen mpg improvement!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hillbilly ! I feel better now about 5W40 now. I am currently using Amsoil 15W40 but will swith at next oil change. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
not a problem i guess all you can say is that the proof is in the pudding

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd use pudding too if would improve MPG's !!!!:lol3:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Hey 2Rowdy ! What name brand oil are you using ?? No problems with the 5W30 oil ?
I am running Schaeffer's supreme 5w-40 synthetic. My next uoa I will have 15,000 miles on oil.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you oppossed to using Amsoil ? I recently started using it in my CTD. Do you run a bypass set up ? I don't feel bad about changing the differentilal fluids, it was time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts