Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 1st diesel yesterday - 06 2500 Laramie mega cab. Have owned Ford gasser the past few years and was looking at new Ford diesels. Although nice looking and solid(the truck itself) my confidence was not real high on the new Ford 6.4 (and the fact that they will not make them anymore after this year I have read). Looked at and drove new Dodge 6.7 and have read from several that owned 5.9's previously that they wished they had their 5.9's back. Went with the 5.9. Have been a little nervous about the fact that it has 97000 miles on it (my intentions are to hold on to the truck for several years) but based on feedback from a few members here and my Step Dad who works for a Chrysler/Dodge dealership the miles aren't anything to be afraid of. With the truck only being 3-3.5 years old are there any particular things I should keep my eyes on? I'm taking it to the dealership my step Dad works at in a couple days to look it over and see if there's anyting the engine might need since the warranty is almost up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Auto or Manual? Perform regular maintenance plus some more that may not need to be done but do it anyway!

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
thats fairly low miles. would check the joints all
around as they start to wear around 100k.

sounds like you got a good truck !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an automatic. Should I have concerns with that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey man, l moved out of a Ford for my dodge. Started out w a '99 SW 2wd 7.3, onto a triton v-10 f350, and then to 2 02 f250s with 7.3. Had my dealing w the 6.0's. As far a a ford goes, I like em. Just like l told the guy at the dodge dealership when l bout my truck almost 6months ago, Look man, I HATE a Dodge, If Ford still made a 7.3 in a New truck, thts what l would be driving! I hate a dodge, and if it Didnt have the "C" on the side, I wldnt be buying it!! :hehe: But, now, its grew on me. Im loving it. Im liking it so much better than what i ever thoguht l would, and now, lm not sure if l wld go back to ford. Especially not one wo a 7.3. Ive had my dealing w the 6.0s and a 6.4 for roughly 5 months. Didnt like the 6.0 AT ALL, and the 6.4 had good power and trans felt ALOT better than any other ford(more like an allison) butHated the truck over all. Overall, Im glad l made my change to the cummins. Alot of the headaches over, and I do believe ill be a diehard 5.9L fan for now on. Itll pull a hellova lot more than the ford wld think about AND LIKE IT!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am the same way as big horn...i have had a little of everything...01 chevy dually duramax, 2000 ford f550 which is still have with the 7.3, 2004 f250 6.0l junk, and i found a great deal on my 03 dodge dually...the only reasons i bought it was because the cummins engine and i picked up a 03 with 100,000 miles in 06 for 15,000 from a friend of mine. i hated dodged before...i had friend with dodges and allways has issues with the trans and brakes and everything else....but this truck has been pretty good...i have had to do front end work, lift pump, throttle position sensor and the tranny just went out on my yesturday but i have put 70,000 miles on it in three years and have only had those issues. overall i am very happy with the truck and i am a diehard cummins fan from now on. My next truck will be a dodge. I do have to admit i have the ford f550 that i pull a 32ft long heavy duty equipment trailer and i have 580 cash backhoes, two bobcat skid loaders, two escavators at the same time and that truck has 130,000 miles on it and maybe 5,000 miles with no trailer...so 125,000 miles pulling a 5-6,000lb trailer then loads up to 15,000 pounds and we have NEVER had a issue with that truck....nothing....nada.....zero problems out of it.....it is amazing....i think around 30,000 miles the altenator went bad but other than that just regular maintence and the truck runs and drives perfect. I just pulled a t250 skid loader which weights near 10,000 lbs and a t190 skid loader which weights around 7,000lbs both at the same time yesturday and it pulls great....but yea sorry for rambling on....i will be quiet now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The miles are certainly nothing to be worried about. My truck had 109k when I bought it two years ago. It now has 130k on it and runs very strong. I'm having an occasional "hiccuping" issue with it now, but I'm sure I'll get that resolved soon. Just from experience, you may want to look at the ball joints and u-joints; I replaced mine at about 115k. With proper maintenance that motor will long outlive the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
my 02 has 370, 000 kms and its still doin alright....a few oil leaks though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts