Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says . I switched to hptuners over the weekend and now get the p0633 code. Owned the truck since 2011 and this is the first time I’ve seen that code. Truck runs and starts fine .

That’s what it said when I pulled the codes . I cleared it . And it came right back but this time the scanner doesn’t detect the code but the odometer will display it . After talking with my tuner he says the smarty has that code disabled and that’s why I never saw it . And that he can disable the code when he makes revisions to my tune . Does that sound right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
I disable that on every truck i tune. Wont hurt a thing.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys . Yeah it’s something to do with the chip embedded into the key. Base on my research it means the I’d the key has doesn’t Mach the id the security systems looking for. And flashing the ecm with out resting it can cause that. I’ve heard some times if a truck has that code. It can fail to start or start and die a few minutes later. Thankfully I haven’t had that problem thankfully.

On a side note, man what a difference hptuners made. Coming from smarty can tunes. Truck is much cleaner and pulls very hard . Tarter 67m turbo spools a lot better . Only thing I miss is the throttle isn’t as responsive. But I think my tuner can fix that .

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a few tune revision and just send off a data log. I most say the truck is definitely running better . No more rail pop, before if I stepped on it fast and hard the truck would just bog down and smoke like a freight train. Some times the truck had Terrible rail pop that sounded like a gun going off. Not anymore and the truck doesn’t bog down and smoke. Just takes off and goes, it was also very bad about smoking if it went into over drive going lower mph up a steep hill. If I didn’t watch it I would black out the cars behind me . Doesn’t do that now . I’m pleasantly surprised to see my cp3 pump seems to be keeping up with a 2900 micro second tune with 100 hp injectors . For years do to the truck bogging down and smoking and rail pop. I thought i needed a bigger cp3 . I guess the arson 3 kit I put on years ago is helping or I already got a modded cp3 and just don’t Realize it . I am the 3rd owner of the truck . To bad the local drag strip closed down. I’d like to see what the truck could do.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So even though the p0633 code was disable. It still come up . And now I get a vin mismatch with the abs system. My truck must not like Hptuners . Tuner said Hptuners can do weird stuff like that. He said to reload the tune and when it has you cycle the key on off to do it slow . Sigh why can’t anything just work right the first time ......

2,567 Posts
Do you mind sharing who your tuner is?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Occasionally when you load a tune with HPTuners it can mess up like that. Be sure to wait for the wait to start light goes out and there’s no voltage changes in the system while it downloads.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you mind sharing who your tuner is?
He's local to me, a Diesel performance shop about a hour away from me.they did my trans work. Vannest Performance

Occasionally when you load a tune with HPTuners it can mess up like that. Be sure to wait for the wait to start light goes out and there’s no voltage changes in the system while it downloads.
I always wait for the grid heater light to go out, I also put a battery charger on the truck just to make sure the volts don't drop while I'm flashing. Never had these problems with the smarty..... I even had a tune get to the very end and failed on the validation part every time. had to get the tune remailed and then it worked.Tuner says Hptuners is finicky, he said he can tune 20 trucks with efi live and have no problems and the tune one truck with hptuners and have a problem like im having . Im kind of thinking it hptuners to, fist time I plunged it up to my truck vm scanner cound not even fine the mpvi2. I had to tell it to resync before it could do anything. then it said it couldn't read the file on my ecm and had to generate its own. apparently that's normal on older trucks like mine.

So I did some flashing, I used my smarty to flash over top the hptuners and set it back to level 9 for giggles, and the p0633 code went away. then I reset it back to stock and flashed haptuners and its back lol. No vin mismatch code though so that's nice. the p0633 code isnt keeping my truck from starting or running so I guess i will ignore it. its interesting it doesnt trip with the smarty, but my truck does do wired things. My cruise control hasn't worked for years, apparently some how some way it got disabled in the pcm, and doesnt even know it has it anymore.... how on earth it did that I have no idea. My neighbor that's a tech at the dodge dealer thinks the smarty did it. but i doubt it,he found out the cruise control was disabled with his dealer scanner . so it could just be something with my truck. it does seem to have a mind of its own.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Some of the older tuners “return to stock” isn’t actually returned to stock. EFILive had an awful time. They usually recommended taking it to the dealer for a clean flash before hooking up the flashscan. A lot of files in the ECM’s without checksums. Second, I think Smarty accesses the abs module for tire size correction, whereas EFILive and HPTuners don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the truck is an 04.5 or 05 the tune can’t be read from the ecm. Doesn’t matter what tuner you use. Dodge won’t release the stock tune files therefore the tuner companies had to make their own stock tune files.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of the older tuners “return to stock” isn’t actually returned to stock. EFILive had an awful time. They usually recommended taking it to the dealer for a clean flash before hooking up the flashscan. A lot of files in the ECM’s without checksums. Second, I think Smarty accesses the abs module for tire size correction, whereas EFILive and HPTuners don’t.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well that's why I used the smarty,as far as I know when you tell the smarty to re flash to stock it flashes a stock file back in. I don't know if Hptuners can talk to the Abs module or not. But I did re-calibrate my speedo with hptuners.

If the truck is an 04.5 or 05 the tune can’t be read from the ecm. Doesn’t matter what tuner you use. Dodge won’t release the stock tune files therefore the tuner companies had to make their own stock tune files.
Its a early 03 with the pcm on the fire wall. Ahhh didn't know that dodge wouldn't release the files, doesn't supersize me at all. Tuner said that was normal for hptuners to say it couldn't read the ecm.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Its a early 03 with the pcm on the fire wall. Ahhh didn't know that dodge wouldn't release the files, doesn't supersize me at all. Tuner said that was normal for hptuners to say it couldn't read the ecm.
I’m not sure about the 03 and 04 ecm, as I know there is some differences between them and the 04.5 and 05. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they couldn’t be read

1 - 15 of 15 Posts