Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 03 Dodge 2500. 4 door long bed 4x4 6 speed. No helper springs and I'm guessing stock leafs on the back. Problem is when I have the gooseneck on, I have what I would call sway in the rear end. Have it empty as well too. Any ideas? My last 03 didnt do this and it was the exact same setup. It will be getting airbags and traction bars eventually but I want to solve this issue first.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
also size are the tires and air psi

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
THey are hinting at the same questions I have...I would start with your tires.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty well brand new. They are only 265's. What's weird is the sway is worse with no trailer and an empty trailer than when I'm loaded. Ill have to look at the brand. But every truck I've owned I've had fairly aggressive tires on and never had this problem. Its making me miss my wife's 6.4 pretty bad right now.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
What is the load range on the tires? If they are load range c and you need load range e you found the likely problem.

A stiffer sidewall has a lot less squirm especially under load.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I installed a Hellwig swaybar which helped the sway as designed. I don't know if there would be any clearance issues with the gooseneck. Tire squirm is different from sway. I call that tailwag and experienced it initially with my Toyo MT's. That dissappeared in about 500 miles. I experienced it on my '99 with D rated tires. That was cured with E-rated Toyos.

My camper's leverage induced some lean and the Hellwig helped mucho without going to a stiffer spring rate.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear tires are Hankook dynapro m/t's. 265's. Load range E and had 70 psi in them. I'd say they probably have over a 1000 miles on them. So it doesnt sound like the tires are the issue.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have 4k on my tires and still can't run rated PSI, they squirm like a mofo.

try running 30psi and see how they do.

Dar

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You say REAR tires are Hankook's. Do you have different tires up front?
Bought it that way. Front just has regular tread tires. I tow heavy and often so I don't want to air them down much. Hate to think the money its going to cost me just to make this thing tow decent. Just the empty trailer squats the truck more than I would like.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,232 Posts
Rear tires are Hankook dynapro m/t's. 265's. Load range E and had 70 psi in them. I'd say they probably have over a 1000 miles on them. So it doesnt sound like the tires are the issue.
Those are awesome tires. My good friend got 61k miles out of a set on his 3/4 ton. Truck never weighed less then 9500lbs.

I would say that is not you issue and I qould think that they are broke in at 1000 miles

·
Registered
626 Posts
What about a swap out of front and rear tires if they are different?? Just a shot in the dark.

Another option is have someone push the side of the truck sideways with hands to see if you find anything loose. Also make sure where the leaf springs connect that is not moving loose or ETC.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are awesome tires. My good friend got 61k miles out of a set on his 3/4 ton. Truck never weighed less then 9500lbs.

I would say that is not you issue and I qould think that they are broke in at 1000 miles
Thats what I'm thinking too. Suspension just acts like its way to soft or something. Might have to see if I can come up with a set of 3500 rear springs and blocks I guess.:banghead:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Wore out shocks?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,232 Posts
Thats what I'm thinking too. Suspension just acts like its way to soft or something. Might have to see if I can come up with a set of 3500 rear springs and blocks I guess.:banghead:
I would put Hellwig over load springs on before I did that. They wont effect the empty ride qaultiy but they will support the rear end up to 2500lbs or 3500lbs depending on the set you buy

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hate to say it, but those tires may be your problem. I had those on my '03, put about 4000 miles on them before I sold the truck. Much more wandering with those tires than I had with my BFGs. I wouldn't put Hankook on another truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.