Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what steps should i take to change out my turbo, since last time i changed it i ended up blowing the new one up 1/8th mile down the road.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:banghead:

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Take the manifold off the truck, mount the turbo to the manifold. Attach the oil return to the turbo before you put it back in the block. Its easier to tightn the 2 little bolts while you got the turbo out. Then put it all back together.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see i took the manifold off with the turbo, put the new turbo on, attached everything else, did a 4 time look over with my dad, started it, idled for about 5 minutes, took off down the road and next thing i know i was pooring white smoke out my exhaust. got back took it off the next day and realized i seperated my exhaust wheel from the shaft, dont know if I did something wrong or what.

· DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!
3,160 Posts
i didnt remove the manifold when i did mine it too 4 hours by my self. you have to be creative, if you want details let me know.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah im curious how you got the turbo off the mani without taking the whole thing off.

a couple weeks ago enrout to the fire dept i came up to an intersection, let off to clear it got back on it and realized i was rollin white smoke. then a few days ago blew it up. replaced it with a 62/71 and blew it up. im cursed i SWEAR.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
see i took the manifold off with the turbo, put the new turbo on, attached everything else, did a 4 time look over with my dad, started it, idled for about 5 minutes, took off down the road and next thing i know i was pooring white smoke out my exhaust. got back took it off the next day and realized i seperated my exhaust wheel from the shaft, dont know if I did something wrong or what.
um noo def sounds like a bad turbo.....

· DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!
3,160 Posts
Yeah im curious how you got the turbo off the mani without taking the whole thing off.

a couple weeks ago enrout to the fire dept i came up to an intersection, let off to clear it got back on it and realized i was rollin white smoke. then a few days ago blew it up. replaced it with a 62/71 and blew it up. im cursed i SWEAR.
used a half inch long handle rachet adapted down to 3/8 and a real long extension from underneath to get the down faceing nuts off. remaved the oil lines and the down pipe took off the upward facing nuts with a long handled wrench. from there i dropped the turbo downand let it rest on the frame. then i came up from the bottom and removed the metal oil drain tube. then i fished the turbo out from the top. then reverse the order to get is back in. i put the drain pipe in then pulled it up to the manifold and hand tightened the upward facing nuts to let it hang thenput everything except the exhaust and intake back on. tightedn every thin up reattached the down pipe and reinstalled the intake. removing the intake battery and battery tray helps make room to get in there better to get it out. it would have been easier going back together to have a second set of hands to help hold the turbo in place to get the nuts started. hope this helps:thumbsup:

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Waterloo! i'll keep that in mind when i install it....well when i can find one!

· DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!
3,160 Posts
no problem. once you get a turbo if you have any questions pm me im on here almost everyday. glad i could help

are you a firefighter?

· Registered
302 Posts
Might have to get creative removing the turbo. The stock ones sometimes don't have a lot of clearance when dropped down on the frame. Either remove the center cartridge and compressor housing from the exhaust housing or try and remove the manifold studs and see if that give enough space to work it out. Otherwise waterloo has pretty much covered it all.

Also, put some anti-sieze on the turbo bolts and pour some fresh oil into the turbo while slowly spinning the comp wheel before start up.

Post any questions as I'm sure many can chime in with answers

· vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
I'm swapping the manifold and turbo all together. So is it easier to have the turbo bolted to the manifold and then set it in the truck or put the manifold on first and then bolt the turbo up. BTW what tq should the manifold bolts be torqued too?

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waterloo yes im a fire fighter have been for 2 years. im about to try and go paid for houston.

and yo forrest i know it was the turbo i was just getting a second thought from people on here. i just called you so hit me up when you get this or my recent call.

· Registered
302 Posts
Wo I don't think anyone said or implied he wasnt capable. He came on wanting other peoples thoughts so why not give him as much help as possible? I doubt he's the only one on here with the same question. There's no such thing as too much information right?

14,088 Posts
Sorry to high Jack "again" but since we are on the subject of turbo/manifold swaps what torque are y'all torquing these bolts that hold the manifold on the block. Im capable but just need that little bit of info....somebody...anybody...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...

14,088 Posts
I've always used the German torque spec... "guedenteit"
I'll have to check and see if my wrench has that spec. :hehe: now when I fill the center of the turbo with oil do I need to fill the tube as well or will the oil pressure flow oil to the line? Sorry for being a high jacker but you've asked the questions I was gonna ask...

· Registered
14,163 Posts
really, any good turbo shop will leave assembly lube oil on the shaft/bearings... it's always a good idea to pre-lube the turbo, but if you've ever watched a mechanical oil pressure gauge connected to one of these turbos, there's really no need to pre-lube a turbo if your engine is in good shape :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.