Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought an 02 donor truck for my nv5600 swap and it has non cad front axle and disc rear. Before I tear into my daily driver I wanted to ask if there's any differences that may not be obvious? My biggest concern is brake line compatibility. The aftermarket performance brake line part numbers are different from the ones sold for a 96 to a 02. I'm assuming this is because of the rear discs and homing the fittings on the frame side are the same.

Then there's the hydro boost... How much of a pain in the but is it to swap? Not really wanting to have to swap hard lines... what am I getting myself into?

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
The brake line routing is wayy different on 98+s. The master is also different, as is the ABS pump.
I believe the fittings switched from SAE to metric in 98, and they use those stupid bubble flares as well. Dual piston calipers and knock off rotors came (they were no longer behind the hub) into play at some point. 2000 maybe? Not sure.

I think a 98 hydrobooster will need a 98 master to work.
I swapped hydroboost into my 94, using the unit off a 97. It bolted right in and i didn't have to open the brake lines.

I took that opportunity to replace my steering box, rebuild the vacuum pump, and swap in a high output powersteering pump and all new lines.

You can use the old powersteering pump if you want just T the lines.

Sounds like you got you work cut out for you...
I would keep the cad axle and swap manual hubs on it and shim the cad fork. I dont like disc brakes but thats a rabbit hole im not going down right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts