Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a utility type bed that I will be picking up and installing on my way cross country. If anyone has experience swapping out beds and can provide instructions or tips, I would appreciate it. I am planning on taking off the original bed before I leave so I can just put on the new bed at the pick up location and continue on my trip. But I've never changed truck beds out so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you ever done a body lift? Very similar.

Your biggest headache will be removing the body bolts. Mine were coated in lock tight or some other thread sealant. If at all possible, have an air ratchet and a good compressor handy. It's very easy other than that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Utility boxes are not to hard to install. They usally have differant mounts for frame width if not it might need welding to change

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the bed is removed.

And it wasn't difficult. Now, does anyone know about the laws regarding driving a pick-up without a bed? I hooked up lights so I have my tail lights, etc. but is there anything else I should do to keep it legal while driving a couple thousand miles to pick up the new bed?
I'm hauling a trailer behind me as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you removed the bumper you are going to need to mount your license plate and strap the light to it for night time running. To be on the safe side, I would rig a board across the frame with some U-bolts and throw on mud flaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts