Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking on behalf of a customer of mine. I work in service at a Dodge dealer and he wants to know if it can be done.

He's got 20k on his 6.7, and I'm pretty sure we've had the truck more than he has. He's more money than he knows what do with, so we're just wondering what it's gunna take?

I'm pretty sure they're the same block, so bolt up should be easy, right?

What about makin it run though?

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Why not just get rid of the EGR and DFP? Isnt that the root of all the 6.7s problems anyway? I understand that once those things are gone they run well and get better mileage

· Registered
343 Posts
the computer would be the problem would be better to trade and get a early 07 with the 5.9

· Washington Chapter Vice President
5,035 Posts
Its way more complicated then just a simple swap. I would either trade for another early 07 or delete the DPF and EGR and let that truck run right.

· HI
4,013 Posts
Its way more complicated then just a simple swap. I would either trade for another early 07 or delete the DPF and EGR and let that truck run right.
:agree2::agree2:

· Registered
2,331 Posts
the computer would be the problem would be better to trade and get a early 07 with the 5.9
X2. Or just get rid of the dpf and egr.

All my problems went away when i got rid of mine. MPG went up, power went up, just waiting on twins to come out that uses that factory VGT turbo also. Dont think thats gonna happen while this truck is alive though:CRY:

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
It would be a great idea and we need somebody to do it. To have that 68RFE bolted to a 5.9 would be great. The wiring is going to be the pain of it. It would probably have to be all 07 5.9 stuff that you would have to order. The only problem i would be curious about the the wiring and computer for the tranny as all of that stuff is linked together. This is something that you are going to have to find out from DC on your end.

If the guy has more money then since and you buy everything through Dodge its probably 15,000 to 20,000 dollar project.

Or you can take your chance with IP&D and see if you can get the 6.7 to 5.9 converstion kit. It will change the computer, cam, turbo, exhasut manifold, intake horn, and a bunch of other stuff, 10,000 dollars and it will also give him 600hp according to Shane.

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
Infinite Power & Design. You can google them or search them on here. He is a good guy to talk to. But it just seems that nobody can order anything from him. there is always a reason why he has not shipped anything. It would be nice to here about some feed back of his stuff

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you guys tellin me if we get rid of this guys EGR and DPF, this is really nothing more than a bored 5.9 Cummins?

Also, is there a way to get more of a rattle from the engine compartment?

Don't ask me why he wants it, he's a biker.. I guess he likes his noise.

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
I'm asking on behalf of a customer of mine. I work in service at a Dodge dealer and he wants to know if it can be done.

He's got 20k on his 6.7, and I'm pretty sure we've had the truck more than he has. He's more money than he knows what do with, so we're just wondering what it's gunna take?

I'm pretty sure they're the same block, so bolt up should be easy, right?

What about makin it run though?
He will not pass emissions with a 5.9 where a 6.7 should be.

· HI
4,013 Posts
So are you guys tellin me if we get rid of this guys EGR and DPF, this is really nothing more than a bored 5.9 Cummins?

Also, is there a way to get more of a rattle from the engine compartment?

Don't ask me why he wants it, he's a biker.. I guess he likes his noise.
yes and no. its not really the same motor. the 6.7's have alot of diff. interior parts than the 5.9.

as for rattle i dont really know what you can do

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Just a question, not trying to be an , but if you work in the service dpt at a dodge dlrship, how can you not know how different the 6.7 is from the 5.9? just curious

· Registered
1,051 Posts
he should pass emissions. The way i understand it, in this state anyways, any engine that was placed in that year model vehicle is legal to be put in it.

I do not remember from the original post if it was an 07, or 08. But obviously if it is an 08 this will not work.

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
His truck would be registered differently, I thought there is a loop hole for that. That becomes a custom truck? Or something like that.
he should pass emissions. The way i understand it, in this state anyways, any engine that was placed in that year model vehicle is legal to be put in it.

I do not remember from the original post if it was an 07, or 08. But obviously if it is an 08 this will not work.

Massachusetts has California emissions standards. If he goes to to right shops he could get by but a significant number of places will fail him. I was going by my state.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a question, not trying to be an , but if you work in the service dpt at a dodge dlrship, how can you not know how different the 6.7 is from the 5.9? just curious
I'm probably the most knowledgable at the dealership when it comes to trucks. But, im not a diesel tech. im a service advisor. I kno how to sell, not tear down a motor.

I know all about the DPF and EGR and VGT. but as far as block config, theres even some disagreement on here, one guy just said the block is different, someone else said it's the same? Just bored n stroked.

The truck is an 08 Mega Laramie, and we're in Canada, emissions are tight, and I dont think there is a class for custom vehicles, you either pass or you dont.

I'm just gettin some info for a wealthy customer of mine. Unfortunatly I can't legally install a DPF delete or an EGR bypass for him so I wanted to at least help him make it sound the way he wants. I think it's the extra shielding around the block and the intake silencer that quieted it down the most. And i don't feel like being responsible for removing important pieces from this dudes toy.

Thanks for the help tho guys, this site is awesome. I have a 99 Ram with a 5.9 gasser, I've belonged to Dodge Truck World for like 5 years... but its getting to be my time to upgrade to an oil burner soon too. I want an 06 or 07 mega with a 5.9 :thumbsup

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
Massachusetts has California emissions standards. If he goes to to right shops he could get by but a significant number of places will fail him. I was going by my state.
being that we dont have emission testing on the diesels yet!!!!!

He will have to setup his truck just like any other CR 5.9. Cat & Muffler should do the trick, but how many people in your area been refused for not having the CAT on there.
Here is South Texas, not such a problem. Hell, where I live, Where my truck is registered, and where i get my truck gets inspected are in three different counties.

If ther problem gets that bad, he should go by a salvaged drivers door from a 07 5.9 identical truck. that will give him the ID sticker. Keep the VIN covered up at the botton of the windshield to force them to use the VIN off of the door. just a extreme pain in the asre thought

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
being that we dont have emission testing on the diesels yet!!!!!
Enjoy it while you can. We don't do a stink pipe but it is a visual inspection, I guess you could gut it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.