Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im startin my SVO conversion on my 96 Cummins 12v and i bought a kit and made all the tanks for filtering and storage. I've done a lot of researching o this and i keep coming up with a flaw in all of these designs for heating the vege oil.

Everybody reroutes the coolant lines for heating, which doesnt seem too complicated, but how long does it take to heat up your truck to operating temp on a 0 degree day? And the you have even more to heat with the vegetable oil. So what i was thinking is taking some cooper tubing and wrapping it around the downpipe. Then get a 12v water pump and small reservoir and run all of your lines to the tank and fuel lines. Then when you start up your truck, your exhaust is gonna come up to temp pretty quickly and heat up your vege oil that much faster.

Now the only problem i see with this is keeping the oil cool enough, i mean egt's are 1000 degrees and your pipe has to be a couple hundred less than that so your coolant is gonna get real hot. Does anybody have an idea on how to regulate it?

I know using the coolant lines would probably be easier, but where i live it gets real cold in the winter. I wnat to be able to use this year round and not have to wait a hour before the oil is liquid again.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Hmmm.... Well, it's a lot simpler than the flash de-emulsification systems that have been floated around lots before...

I like the idea, the only problem is the inevitable exhaust-gas-temperature water after a hour or so cruising on the freeway... How hot is cruise EGT for you, 800? (Mine are 1200...)

I think I'd use some kind of oil system... Pump's going to have to be able to take some heat.

Put a big enough heat exchanger in the fuel tank, you might have less to worry about. And 400 degree SVO. Groovy.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
What if you just ran your SVO fuel lines around your downpipe? That would cut out the secondary circulation system entirely. If you want, install an individual SVO pump that would circulate the SVO constantly.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
thats eerie. me and my dad have been looking at making that exchanger setup for my rig!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've heard that high of heat will cause the oil to polymerize. I'd look into that before trying it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts