Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have black powdercoated H's wrapped in 35 Toyo M/T's sitting in the garage. I was planning on getting a leveling kit but now I'm wondering if I should spend more :$:

First, has anyone been able to run 35's on a stock suspension with NO rub?

Next, if I go with a leveling kit, I would prefer to go with coils and shocks instead of spacers. The two kits I've considered are KORE and Lorenz. They both look very similar but the KORE is around $200 cheaper.

I've also read a steering stabilizer would help out quite a bit so the tires don't pull as much. Are there any brands/vendors to recommend?

I've seen quite a bit of back and forth about a track bar. Is it necessary if I just level the truck.

Last, any recommendations for the back end; like new shocks, leaf pack or air ride?

Looking forward to the input.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would do the leveling kit to make the 35's run without rubbing. And Kore is a very good kit. You wouldnt be dissapointed. A track bar isnt really needed but it will make the ride a little smoother.
Kore has a great 4.5" Lift for sale for 1,200 right now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So I have black powdercoated H's wrapped in 35 Toyo M/T's sitting in the garage. I was planning on getting a leveling kit but now I'm wondering if I should spend more :$:

First, has anyone been able to run 35's on a stock suspension with NO rub?

Next, if I go with a leveling kit, I would prefer to go with coils and shocks instead of spacers. The two kits I've considered are KORE and Lorenz. They both look very similar but the KORE is around $200 cheaper.

I've also read a steering stabilizer would help out quite a bit so the tires don't pull as much. Are there any brands/vendors to recommend?

I've seen quite a bit of back and forth about a track bar. Is it necessary if I just level the truck.

Last, any recommendations for the back end; like new shocks, leaf pack or air ride?

Looking forward to the input.
I just went through the same dilemma. The Kore HP kit is probably OK, but a fellow member has one and warned that it rides REALLY rough. Sean Lorenz' kit is $200 more but you get to choose between a 6% and 23% front spring.

I had email Sean about the difference in the kits but he never returned my email (which is strange for him as he's been super helpful in the past). Due to the lack of response from Sean, I was set to purchase the Kore kit until I learned of the super stiff ride. Now I'm back to the drawing board. :CRY:

I'm going to try my 34" tires (285/75/17)without a levelling kit and hope for the best. I can always purchase one later.

BTW - I don't like the idea of spacers either but the price is right.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went through the same dilemma. The Kore HP kit is probably OK, but a fellow member has one and warned that it rides REALLY rough. Sean Lorenz' kit is $200 more but you get to choose between a 6% and 23% front spring.

I had email Sean about the difference in the kits but he never returned my email (which is strange for him as he's been super helpful in the past). Due to the lack of response from Sean, I was set to purchase the Kore kit until I learned of the super stiff ride. Now I'm back to the drawing board. :CRY:

I'm going to try my 34" tires (285/75/17)without a levelling kit and hope for the best. I can always purchase one later.

I have 285/70/17's on my truck now and they fit easily. You may be able to get by with your tires.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Muchos horas.

Sean's working 10-12 hr. days lately at his regular job. Try him again..

·
Registered
190 Posts

I would check-out Don Thuren at Thuren fabrication for the above needs, if you feel it necessary, which you may not!

Let us know what you come up with.:peelout

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have never heard of anybody using Bilstein 5100's complaining about a rough ride especially with a Kore system.
It's not the shock so much as the spring rate. The Bilsteins are first rate!!

The HP kit is only springs, shocks and drop blocks.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
check out the carli starter system. raises about 3 inches in the front and 1 inch in back. comes with new coils, bilstein 5100s all the way around, sway bar extenders and an add-a-pack to the rear leafs, getting rid of the overload spring for a much better ride and better handling. maintains stock payload capacity too. under 1400 shipped!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Kore HD level kit on my 05 and its a noticeable improvement over the stock ride. Its more forgiving than stock and handles the curves better. In my case, the ride did not get rougher, and I am very happy with the kit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i'm not trying to start a fight here,...............but with that said.....
I have h2s with procomp at's 315/70/17's...with barely any rub
it's so little....that i'm leaving the stock front end alone. if I turn it to full right lock,....i can get it to just barely touch the plastic wheelwell behind the tire and with 10k miles on so far there is a slight POLISHING of that area where it touches.....
maybe I'm just lucky
my .02

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts

I believe the 6% spring is for vehicles that have the stock front bumper or one of similar weight. The 23% spring is for those lucky individuals with an aftermarket heavy duty steel bumper (RA, AP, BS, WR, etc.). :thumbsup

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the Kore HD level kit on my 05 and its a noticeable improvement over the stock ride. Its more forgiving than stock and handles the curves better. In my case, the ride did not get rougher, and I am very happy with the kit.

Hmmm, I guess I'd have to drive one for myself to know for sure. Many different opinions out there I suppose. For the money, it should be an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I ran H2s and 315/70/17s with no rub on a stock suspension....they're nearly 35" tall. H2s have great backspacing.

As far as the other systems, my KORE setup tightened things up and made the truck feel much more precise...body roll in corners was eliminated and the ride was much improved over stock. The stock suspension rides much more harshly than a KORE setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had email Sean about the difference in the kits but he never returned my email (which is strange for him as he's been super helpful in the past).
Sorry about that. I have a pretty good filter on my email but sometimes the real stuff is sent to the spam folder.

My suggestion is to run the 6% coils unless you need the 23%. The majority of my guys go with the 6% coils.

Send questions to [email protected] if my email continues to block you.

Sean

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Sean's 2.25 SAW and I love it. It's a few steps up from the leveling kit, but it works great! No more body roll, handles great on road and in the corners and off road is fantastic! I've 35X12.5 Toyo MT's and they fit with no problem. I did a lot of research before I bought (not much else to do with your time off in Iraq but check stuff out) and I can say that Sean has top quality systems and was very helpful.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I looked at Kore and Lorenz lift kits, and there is no way Kore is 200.00 cheaper. You can't compare prices that don't include the same components.

I am going with a Lorenz lift as soon as I get back to civilization.

Thanks again Sean for the quick replies, and taking care of my shipping needs to Canada! I can't wait to get my Lift from ya!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmmm, ya, same components. Drop blocks, shocks and springs. No doubt Sean is a great guy, but I'm just trying to compare kits. Sean's Bilstein kit to Kore's HP kit...Kore is $200 cheaper. Hard to believe, but if you go to their respective websites, you can see for yourself. Other kits may be closer in price, but these two kits are $200 apart.

If you look at the kits, they have the same components, but I suspect Sean's springs are better. Can't tell from the website.

If I had the cash, I'd go for Sean's 2.25 SAW kit. Unfortunately, I can't justify the money.

Gotta luv Cowtown. Lived there for 15 years before moving north to this ... forsaken place.

Hope you like your Lorenz kit. I'm sure it's top notch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hmmmm, ya, same components. Drop blocks, shocks and springs. No doubt Sean is a great guy, but I'm just trying to compare kits. Sean's Bilstein kit to Kore's HP kit...Kore is $200 cheaper. Hard to believe, but if you go to their respective websites, you can see for yourself. Other kits may be closer in price, but these two kits are $200 apart.

If you look at the kits, they have the same components, but I suspect Sean's springs are better. Can't tell from the website.

If I had the cash, I'd go for Sean's 2.25 SAW kit. Unfortunately, I can't justify the money.

Gotta luv Cowtown. Lived there for 15 years before moving north to this ... forsaken place.

Hope you like your Lorenz kit. I'm sure it's top notch.
What brought you up to Edmonton? I spend a fair bit of time up around that way, it's a nice little city.

Just got home, and looking to getr my truck in the next few days :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts