Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am working on starting my own little fab shop. First, It is a work in progress. And to the mods, I have nothing for sale, nor am I advertising. I am simply asking the people what they want. When (if) the time comes I will register as a vendor. But I am a long way from tooling up. I will be building prototypes with what tools I do have and testing them on my own truck.

I am currently designing (on paper) 2 setups for the rear. A true triangulated 4 link, And a 3 link radius design with a trackbar. It is designed with 5" of lift and 37" tires.

Question 1. I am throwing around the idea of maybe using the stock front coils for the back, mostly to keep the price down. I know, it might be too stiff, but maybe perfect for a HD truck. I am also thinking of air bags, and maybe long travel air bags as an option. Or, some soft coils, and a removable air bag setup for heavy loads. What Do you guys think? Opinions? Would anybody be interested If the price is right?

As for the front, A long arm with a trackbar is no problem, I think the only option, except for short arms. I am gonna play with a triangulated front, but dont know about clearances with the oil pan and driveshaft. So a trackbar maybe the only option. Prices will be very competitive, although, I am not going to list any.

Question 2. What about end links? I could use a crawler style joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other (also keeping the price down, and still function well) Or a crawler style joint on both ends, which would raise the price slightly, but would be very functional. The joints would be a rebuildable style, so it would be better for the end user. What would you guys rather have?

I am going to design everything as user friendly as possible, but the kits will be very labor intensive and require skilled welding. The crossmembers will have a bolt on and weld option as well.

I am also working on other things that I bring up at another time. I still have a long way to go to get my business license, loans, and probably a month after the loans to get the cnc table delivered, setup, and bugs worked out.

Let me know what you think. And if there is somthing else you have in mind that nobody offers, hit me up. But keep in mind, the cnc table I am getting is not a mill. Meaning I wont be cutting anything in 3D. It is a plasma table. If things kick of good, I may invest in some 3D components for the table as well.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
GOOD LUCK, just the mention of front coils in the rear kept me from reading any farther, again, GOOD LUCK. im sure someone will give it a shot.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read on warlock. It was just an idea to keep price down. Do long travel air bags sound better? Soft coils? Coil-overs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to see a coilover kit, keeping it righ at the 3" of lift, but with taller mounts, i personally have no problem cuttong holes in my hood for some super tall coilover mounts to stick out of, and allow for the same amount of upward travel as the current kits out there, but have a lot more droop available. Im sick of feeling my limit straps doing their job! Since around 10-12" seems to be the limit for the thuren/carli/kore kits, it'd be nice to see 15+". I know that the steering and tracbar would be limiting factors, as well as a high angle driveshaft, but it may be possible? Also, since the coilovers are so much smaller in diameter, you could offer a secondary mount for bypasses to be mounted in addition for some extra adjustability.

I also think that a simpler single radius arm per side should be cheaper as well as easier than a triangulated setup, and long arms seem to only work for around 6+".

As for the rear, leaves are simple, and cheaper. Extended length should offer more travel, and while relocating the mounts you could use better/longer shackles.

Im just dreaming here, ill never be able to affoard this if it ever was available anyhow, but you did ask what we wanted! Hahah!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good idea to think things out before jumping.

Do you have any pictures of your current/past suspension projects? Experience means a lot.

:D

·
Vendor
6,375 Posts
Triangulated 4 link in the rear and a 3 link in the front would be great ideas but these trucks have fuel tanks and motors in the way.:confused013:

·
Registered
426 Posts
And even if you could get a triangulated 3/4 link in the front, you are going to have to go full hydro steering or a rearward running drag link with a bell crank, to follow the suspension path.

·
Vendor
6,375 Posts
And even if you could get a triangulated 3/4 link in the front, you are going to have to go full hydro steering or a rearward running drag link with a bell crank, to follow the suspension path.
Come On?

I love massive bump steer.........

Reactions: runit02

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said guys, I am designing a bunch of different things. I am not designing prerunner kits. But very funtional off-road kits, as well as superb on-road handling and ride quality as well. By off-road, I am not meaning all out chase vehicles. I think everybody got the impression I was building trophy truck stuff. Far from it. But as you know, most of the kits available are just for looks. And the ones that are very functional cost big bucks. Im gonna try to hit the mark in between. I know you cant have the best of both worlds.

As for past projects, most of them are long gone. I have been building things out of metal since I was 15. And building weekend warriors when I was 16. My current job Involves alot of metal fabrication and super critical welds. Welds that get tested to 4000psi. All I have currently Is the bumper on my truck. Which is what is giving me this crazy idea to go even more in debt to try to make money. I have numerous people I dont know try to get me to build bumpers for their trucks and ask what else I can build. But I built my bumper with a grinder, torch, a tig and a pos mig. I have around 20 hours in it. I would work on it 2 hours a day before work. Alot of the time was getting stuff out and putting it up. But hey it turned out good, other than i got the push bar a little higher than what I wanted. I couldnt imagine trying to build a bunch of them without the cnc table. So, yea bumpers will be another thing I will be offering. I am going to try to build some of my products without any special tools and get pics. But first I gotta get material. And the Money to buy it. So this thread will probably die. But i will revive it one of these days. I was looking for insperation I guess. And motivation.......

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
the stock front coils could work in a shortened version, if you place them closer to the apex of the pivot, the assembly word have leverage to work against this coil, therefore making it less stiff in feel, yet still offer greater travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cant wait to see it ban89!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I think ban gives some good advice, what I read as your describing is a very special use mostly for articulation and not really needed on most guys pick-ups and George pointed out. you may be able to sell a few kits to some guys making one bad-S crawler rig but not trying to pick on your idea but I would start with a general lift design so you have more of a market to beable to fund the fun projects like a triangulated system...

The best thing that I read was you mentioning the 4link set up... If it were me I would focus on that being designed for lifted trucks that do towing more then what Ban does... as he mentioned the fab involved into making all that work for a off the shelf "bolt-on" coil over rear system is a hard thing to pull off.. especially when the competition has so much more out there that does the same job almost as well but the cost is more in the regular guy range..

Good luck keep us posted on what you come up with...

Reactions: xcountryguy04x

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I for one would love to see another kit available for a 2nd gen. Especially if it's a well built 4 link in the rear with air bags.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
build a functional roll cage, that doesn't interfere with normal day to day activities and i'll bet you'll make a killing

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'd love to see a full front and rear air bag suspension like Kelderman makes that you wouldn't have to sale one of your kidneys and first born child to be able to afford it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts