Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always had a 6" lift on all of my previous trucks. I have said since I bought my Cummins that a leveling kit was it, but today a customer's truck got the better of me and Im doing it. I want to do a 6" and stack my leveling kit on top. for an 8". I already have my tires, some 38x15.50-20 Toyos. Im wondering if anyone else has stacked like this and what all it took? I dont know if the kit im getting will come with brake lines, if it does im thinking the ones for a 6 will be long enough, the control arms should be fine since this should be no diff. than putting a leveling kit on a stock truck with stock control arms. If anyone has done this what did you do in the back? An add a leaf? A diff. block? Sorry for the length any and all help or ideas is appreciated

· Registered
896 Posts
Yeah we did one at Franklin Store#12. Looked really good. What base kit are you going to use Fabtech or the new coil tuff country? A short arm kit is gonna ride a little stiff but it works ok. Probably gonna want your alignment tech to through in an offset ball joint if your caster is gonna not be in spec to help it not to have a tendency to pull left or right if that really matters to you. Doubt the kit will have brake lines but you can bend the hard lines out some more or move the bracket mount to make them work. They have really long lines anyways. Your diveline in front is probably gonna be super close to the cross member and maybe a little bit short. You might wanta get a Superlift transfer case index ring to rotate the driveline angles down a little bit cause you might have a bit of driveline vibration in the front end. Just use a 3" add-a-leave and taller block and it should put you close to level. Hit me up if you have any more questions or call me at the Coos Bay #252 store. Chris

· 06 Cummins
2,899 Posts
i am thinkin of this too.. how much are those tuff country lifts?

· Registered
417 Posts
For the back I would do the One Up Offroad traction bars with blocks.You can choose any hight block up to 10" and
the bars hold every thing in solid .Look below for link to video

Click here for video--->YouTube - One Up Offroad Gen2 Prototype

· 06 Cummins
2,899 Posts
those are pretty slick!

· Registered
417 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks chris, im going to use the tuff kit. Its only for looks and the kit is cheaper than the Fab. My alignment techs are trying to steer me away from it, because it is stacking lifts and im trying to tell them its the same thing as putting a level kit on top of a stock spring. If I have anymore ?'s I will give you a shout, everyone at my store is very by the book and if its not in the yellow pages it cant be done. Theyll see. what tire size did you put on the one at franklin?

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also does anyone have any ideas on how much the 38's are goona kill my mileage, I have heard of some guys talking about getting better with 37 than 35 ?? I have 3:73 rear

· Registered
896 Posts
We ran 38x1550R20's on 20x10s. had to trim a little but they were a 4.5 BS. We are by the book too but I do all my own stuff. There is a point of going too extreme but I have personally done this on mine just fine. Are you going to put it in yourself or have them do it. If you aren't going to do it just have them put the lift in then you can put the leveling kit in pretty easy. Mileage is going to be a bit lower but you'll really like the look. Just put them on and you'll be happy. What wheels are you going to run. I have seen guys put 38's on with a 6" kit and some trimming. I am running a 4.5" Tuff country with 6" spacers right now. Rides a little bit stiff but it'll clear 38's ok. Chris

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will be doing it myself, ive gotta pick out wheels tomorrow. Not sure what yet. I was thinking rockstars, but they are so played out, and look like punk kid stuff. I like them alot but I guess only on other peoples rigs. The other thing is I dont know if I want to go black or not. I usually get new wheels every 6 mos. or so, so I guess it doesnt matter too much what I get for now

· Registered
896 Posts
If your doing it yourself you should be able to do whatever you want to your truck who cares if its in the yellow book or not. Yeah there are some cool new wheels out. Rockstars are cool but there are a lot of people that are running them. Some of the new Ultra wheels are pretty cool but on a black truck chrome is gonna look the best in my opinion. Chris

· Registered
315 Posts
One of these days I'll stop being lazy and top my 4.5" fabtech with my leftover D2P. I called Shane at Tuff Country last week to talk about there Radius Arm conversion and am excited about it. Cost is a little more than I want to spend though. I was concerned about material strength, because it's a bent bar for more steering clearance. Turns out it's solid bar!! Can you say stout?

· Registered
315 Posts
i will be doing it myself, ive gotta pick out wheels tomorrow. Not sure what yet. I was thinking rockstars, but they are so played out, and look like punk kid stuff. I like them alot but I guess only on other peoples rigs. The other thing is I dont know if I want to go black or not. I usually get new wheels every 6 mos. or so, so I guess it doesnt matter too much what I get for now
DON'T go for the Rockstars! Anything in the XD line but them would look good. I agree on the chrome/black truck look.

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was kinf of leaning towards somethinig chrome anyway, I think that it would look out of place to have black wheels because I already have so much black and not enough shiny stuff. Its a sport so black front and rear bumpers, but I want something to tie in the headache and toolbox so it doesnt look out of place

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might just try to find something used and cheap for now until I find what I want wheel wise.

· Registered
315 Posts
I might just try to find something used and cheap for now until I find what I want wheel wise.
I stopped by South the other day to pick up some parts and they had two sets of 8-lug 20s out front. I asked one of the guys and he said they were both 8-6.5. Give them a call and see what's up? I have a set of 8-6.5 Black Chrome Punisher's in our store in 20". I'd let you have them for cheap!

Allan

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill call Rod at South tomorrow and how cheap on the Punishers

· Registered
326 Posts
also does anyone have any ideas on how much the 38's are goona kill my mileage, I have heard of some guys talking about getting better with 37 than 35 ?? I have 3:73 rear
Ok, so with a 3.73 rear end, your 38s will effectively change the rear end ratio equal to that of 3.11. Really low. You'll be running about 1450 rpms at 65 mph versus about 1750 rpms stock. That's really bogging. However..you may want to put it in toy/haul mode. That would put you in a better rpm range I would think.

· Registered
326 Posts
I hear you'll never go back.

· Registered
896 Posts
I ran 3.54's with 40's no problem. Averaged around 17.5 driving back and forth from Redmond to Bend which is 30 miles everyday for work. I had no problem pulling heavy loads or smokin the tires. You will be ok with 38's

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.