Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at buying a third generation truck for A while now. I have been looking at 5.9 2wd dually 6 speed. I found a great deal on an auto. I will pull a trailer with it some but not much. It's a 06 in excellent shape. Does any one think I should hold out for a 6 speed or is the auto worth having? I would be adding cold air and a chip but won't be getting crazy. Help me out fellas. Also I should tell you it has 60k and I can get it for little under 20g

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Many people not happy with Dodge trannies. And many have thier own opinions and won't see it any other way. Beware.

That being said, I have a 06 4x4 QC with a burnt up auto. Going in the shop Monday. I know the truck was hotrodded by the previous owner and I just finished it off with my travel trailer. A HD rebuild and a few other upgrades should do the trick. Im think ill be happy with it. I pull 10k-13k 3-4 times per month. Before it took a :eek:opsie:, I had no problems.

Bottom line is it's a matter of preference. If you want a manual, wait. If you truely don't care, and think it's a deal, buy it. It's a big investment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't have any issues with my auto and it's got 75k on the clock. If you plan on any upgrades I'd suggest gauges and an extra cooler first. I've put a built trans in my budget just in case because I've heard that no matter what I do, the trans wont last over 100k. How much of that is true??? I guess I'll find out eh. The 6 speed wont get good MPG compared to the auto. I'm always nice to my truck and the worst I've gotten is 19 MPG. All time best for me was 28 MPG.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh yeah, Mine is a 2WD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About how much to beef up an auto?

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's just personal preference. The stick is stronger and will last longer but I know people who tow 5-10 times a year 5000-10000 lbs and have 120K on their stock autos with no problems.

I love every second of my 6 speed

·
Registered
267 Posts
I f I had to do it over again, I'd go auto. I've enjoyed my manual, but I could tear down and beef up an auto to handle anything just as easy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone that truck sold 15 muinute ago. The truck you look at today and think about till tomorrow might be the same one someone looked at yesterday and is going to buy today. I want a 6 speed anyways. Right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I perfer my G56 myself. The Trans itself is more than capable enough, its the stock cluth that seems to be the issue.

As far as an auto being more fuel efficient...... well I agree and disagree on that statement. "DISAGREEMENTS" Automatics have always required more power from the engine to "spin", which causes more fuel to be consumed. Also there's less gears with the 4 speed auto, which means more of an RPM drop when the trans shifts which can cause the engine to use more fuel to get back to cruising RPM. "AGREEMENTS" I can also see where it would help with fuel efficiency though due to it automatically shifting at preset points, and having a better overdrive.

If you were to get two of the exact same trucks I suppose the higher fuel efficiency would go to the driver that drove more fuel efficient.

2005 Ram 2500 Laramie, Quadcab shortbed, 2WD, G56, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Banks Power Pack, Banks Brake, 4.10's, 285/70R17 Dura Grapplers .

·
Registered
912 Posts
No, the better fuel effeciency in THESE autos comes from the much better final gear ratio. .79 of the G56 to the .69 of the 48RE.

The stock clutch and flywheel are the main issue

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
Lets see around 900 for a clutch and flywheel upgrade verses what 1500+ for any good upgrade for the auto tranny to handle any descent amount of hp. Boy thats a tuffie.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
You think a $1500 tranny job is going to hold 500hp?
I have no idea considering the only auto dodge we ever owned was my wifes drw and its tranny was a pos. My 6 have always been a stick for that main reason. I thought i was being conservative but wasnt sure.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know a lot of guys spend 5K+ on a nice bullet proof trans. I know they can be done for less. I think a good trans to hold some power will cost you at least 3-4 times what a good clutch will cost you.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
I looked at alot of auto trucks until I found my 6 speed and im sure glad I did!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts