Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All, I am worried that my Turbo may be on its way out with the surging and noises I hear constantly from mine. My truck has always been pretty "chatty" (metallic noises up front) since new.

I listened to my brothers 2017 3500 6.7 with 5K miles on it and he has NO metallic noises up front and it is quite a bit quieter than mine. Does this sound normal to you guys with the high pitched metallic noises. I tried shutting off the EB and A/C and neither one of them made a difference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to crappy Ram tuning from the factory. Live with it or delete it :thumbsup:
I have data logged it to no end, PID loop and hysteresis is full fail. I have never seen such bad oem calibrations on any car I've ever been into the Ecu on including 80s cars. The trans tuning is :hehe:

Reactions: ATC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine does it too. Doesn't have to be any certain gear just driving at low rpm's. Not an expert but mine feels more like a tuning issue than a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My '16 does this too. I'm at 18k miles and running CPS non-delete tuning... Drives great otherwise....

·
Registered
5 Posts
i finally got my truck fixed at Fort Collins Dodge in Fort Collins, CO. Turns out that according to the service adviser, the transmission "brain" wasn't communicating with the speed sensors. seeing as how the trans wasnt getting an accurate speed reading it confused the valve body pressures thus causing the surge. They re-flashed / reset the speed sensors, transmission and ECM. I picked the truck up, drove it 47 miles back to Cheyenne, WY without a single problem... might be worth checking in to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine does it to. Hard to notice. Did all the updates a few months ago. I can say my speedo mph is off from my cruise control mph i wonder if that means anything? Its hard to explain the very slight vibration at cruising speeds that turns on and off like others stated no rpm change or any change.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine has surged like this since day one. It is most pronounced from 35-55 mph. If the problem is indicative of a bad turbo, then mine was faulty from the factory.

Mine has done it since new it has 18 k now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i finally got my truck fixed at Fort Collins Dodge in Fort Collins, CO. Turns out that according to the service adviser, the transmission "brain" wasn't communicating with the speed sensors. seeing as how the trans wasnt getting an accurate speed reading it confused the valve body pressures thus causing the surge. They re-flashed / reset the speed sensors, transmission and ECM. I picked the truck up, drove it 47 miles back to Cheyenne, WY without a single problem... might be worth checking in to.
Not quite sure how that works for us with manuals...? :hehe:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, my 2017 3500 will have a speed surge in second gear and acts funny at lower speeds like the Aisin transmission isn’t sure what gear to choose.
my truck has 58k miles on it now and it is not noticeable under load or towing or with cruise on nor have I noticed a difference with EB on or off.
I do have a larger tire size than stock and the truck is completely stock.
I’m wondering now if it is a transmission issue because of the almost 10MPH difference in tire size.
Should I buy a programmer and calibrate for the larger tire size? Or take it to the dealership?
As far as warranty goes, I bought it used, does the factory 100k powertrain still apply?
thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You guys that have this issue,what gear ratio do you have? My 2016 with 3.42 surged like that since new,but my 18 with 4.10 does not do it

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,757 Posts
Oops... old thread. Sorry, I’ll start a new one if necessary.
Thanks
You are fine as long as it brings value to the thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys that have this issue,what gear ratio do you have? My 2016 with 3.42 surged like that since new,but my 18 with 4.10 does not do it
That’s interesting, my 2017 has the 3.42 gears... couldn’t find one with the 4.10’s optioned like my truck is. I would much rather have the 4.10’s and had considered swapping when I get a tuner But it really does an amazing job and it pulls up the AZ grades like it’s nothing so they are staying for now.
Anyone know if factory warranty still applies to my truck? Just turned 58k miles.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts