Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Surging at light throttle

16K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Jerryl1 
#1 ·
I recently fully deleted with anarchy stock tunes. Now that the exhaust is open i am noticing a huffing, surging at an idle in park, lightly accelerating from a stop, and cruising down the road at lower rpms and light throttle input. I’m thinking the truck was having this issue before I deleted, but if it was, it was hardly noticeable before with it being so quite.

I changed the fuel filters since they were due for service, and also cleaned the MAF and intake sensor on the intake elbow. None of this changed the issue.

I have a P2228 Barometric pressure sensor high l, P1193, and a P0405. Like an idiot I didn’t check for codes before I deleted so I don’t know how old these codes are. I know my barometric pressure sensor is reading a constant 12.5 psi.

I’ve done a few searches for this complaint and am surprised by how many threads there are, just haven’t seen much resolution in any of them, other than fuel filters and cleaning the MAF. So I was hoping someone here might have some insight. Thanks

#2 ·
Pressure sensor is reading low. Should be reading about 14.8. you probably need to change the one on the filter housing for the code.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Cwendel, the elevation is 4500 ft where I’m at, 12.6 psi is not sounding too far off. I’m still going to replace the sensor since I had the code. Just not holding my breath that’s gonna fix it

Reactions: bcflyfisher
#3 ·
I had this issue at one point, and could not get it to go away. New Lift pump, new Cp3, new rail pressure, lines, new injectors etc. It finally went away with a different tuner.

#5 ·
Same story here...minus all the new parts. Datalog after datalog and no results. Bully dog tune worked better. Swapped to a different tuner who is local too me and all issues disappeared

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Reactions: cwendel
#4 ·
Ordered the new sensor tonight, won’t be in for a few days. Does Cummins use this sensor to calibrate others on each startup? CAT does this and I know a barometric sensor malfunction would set everything in a default mode. I don’t think that would cause this issue i am having but we’ll see.

Anyone else running anarchy efi stock tunes here with this issue?

#8 ·
Now to really check, when the truck is cold and not running, does the barometric reading from the pids match the exhaust pressure reading and the air inlet pressure sensor. If all threeare within .2 of each other the sensors are good. Books all say to replace the one that is not matching.

using Tapatalk

#9 ·
So finally got around to changing that barometric pressure sensor, no change in the way the engine runs but no more code. Now the map, baro, and exhaust pressure sensors are all reading within .2 of each other with the engine off.

I did a data log and frp stays within a few hundred psi of the command at all times. The only thing that seemed strange to me is the vgt % actual and command readings fluctuate between 75% and 88% when the truck is in park and rpms set to 1100 with the cruise. Actual % seems to follow the command % to a point, it’s definitely not dead on.

Another thing I am noticing is the eb is not working in the mornings anymore when I turn it on to assist in warming the engine up. It does however work when driving and the tc is locked like it always has.

I am going to contact anarchy on Monday and try and get them to send me the stock file to flash in the ecm, and run it to see if the surging is still there.

#10 ·
Either actuator or turbo are on the way out. I just changed my actuator out after months of chasing. It would get weak but no codes thrown. I swapped to the city diesel unit geno's garage sells. Two days in a row and the truck is still okay.

using Tapatalk

Reactions: N of 60
#11 ·
I contacted Anarchy and they sent me the stock file, just reflashed the ecm and the surging is still there...

So at least I can cross off anarchy tuning as the issue. My theory is I never heard the surging before becuase of the quiet exhaust, and didnt feel it while driving because of the torque management keeping the throttle kind of dead.

One thing i am not understanding is, why is the turbo actuator command jumping around 75-88%? Does it not stay constant % when at fixed load/RPMS?

Also I have no codes for the turbo actuator, anyway to narrow this down any further to just the actuator or the turbo?

Thank you for all the help cwendel

#12 ·
If the actuator motor is weak at a certain point in its motion, it could cause the vanes to move a little. The slight rotation motion of the motor would show as the vanes moving. The motor could also be stalling at that point which would be the same result.
I am still trying to figure some of it out as the system on out trucks is such a mix of high and low tech.
The surge could also be just the system cought in the right spot on the fuel and boost maps that you get this problem. I have seen some posts by some others where this is kinda a result of the tuning maps and appears only under these certain conditions.
As long as there is no excess smoke, I would just keep an eye on it.

using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I had the same surging issue. Truck was retuned locally and surge is gone. I was told it had a very aggressive 150 hp tune in it. Not sure "what" was in it, and forgot what the shop said they use. Deleted and zero black smoke after retune.

#15 ·
I called motor ops, they had a single efi tune in my truck before I switched, and they are sending me an upgrade tune file for my mm3 tomorrow for my fleece turbo and I'll see if that makes the surge go away. If it does what should I do about anarchy? It sucks paying $550 for problems.

#16 ·
Good question. I searched high and low for a while trying to resolve the issue, and found that some swear by anarchy. I will personally stay away for a few reasons. Let us know what they say.

#17 ·
Well guys, I ended up upgrading through anarchy to there mercenary tunes. Once I flashed the ecm and set the tune to TOW, all the surging is gone. Trucks runs completely different, i’m happy with it.

What I’m struggling to understand is why they would offer a stock delete file option if it causes this excessive surging. After the fact they stated that it had something to do with toggling of pilot injection at idle.

Basically don’t waste your time with a stock delete file from anarchy diesel.

Reactions: cwendel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.