Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever supercharged a cummins? Let me know if you've ever heard of such?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its been done. Turbo with a supercharger.
I think it was Piers who did it a long time ago.

There are pics floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
861 Posts
id rather do twin turbos

·
Registered
685 Posts
WHY?

Turbo and supercharged diesel engine is the best of both worlds.

Supercharger eliminates ALL turbo lag. You have instant boost from idle to max rpm.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes about the lag, BUT, a supercherger puts an un-needed draw on the engine, and how often do you need that instant boost...

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
theres a guy in the diesel place that has a twin turbo supercharged duramax. supercharger spools the turbos REAL quick. looks bads$$ red. with corvette exhaust

·
Registered
861 Posts
yea it spools wuicker but it maxes out quicker. a turbo can keep building boost. also, it is an unnecessary draw on the motor. im sure on that DMAX they are centrifugal chargers, which really are not the way to go. you can only make so much boost and it draws power from the motor. turbos make much more psi. and u get twins to eliminate lag. thats why a smaller one is first, so it can spool the bigger one and make a crap ton of boost. thats just my oppinion

·
Banned
528 Posts
Impractical only if the information about the actual facts are flawed. The Duramax in question has a centrifugal supercharger and a single GT4505 turbocharger. The supercharger is clutch actuated and disengaged over 15psi. This is a very practical solution for 600+hp in a daily driven application, the truck in question is daily driven @ 733hp. So I would bide my words if actual understanding of an idea escapes you.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have never, ever heard of a clutch actuated supercharger, but if you could get one set -just- right it would be perfect!! kind of like mad maxes, flip switch that nobody can figure out how to disengage a supercharger....

·
Banned
528 Posts
I take the clutch actuation back, that was a conversation with Nathan from MPI. Micky's Duramax has an external gate in each header controlled by an Eboost gauge that commands the desired boost pressure from 1-60psi. The supercharger is 1.5-1.8psi @ idle and the inlet after the turbocharger is 3-3.5psi @ idle. The supercharger pulley is 41 tooth and set to run 24psi @ full load.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Here is what I am seeing, 3-5 people in this thread with sufficient blatent arrogance to judge a person without knowing the facts. I remember when I knew it all while running a stock turbocharger...

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If its set up right I just dont see a down side. The whipple charger using the Lysholm twin screw desighn is one of the most efechint superchargers made. They only take 2-3 HP to turn them and produce a cooler air charge than any other supercharger out. & they have the ability to run 25-30 PSI almost instantly. What is the down side?

·
Registered
555 Posts
i dunno guys. power is power no matter how you make it. and anything with large amounts of power is badass and deserves some respect! that is...except for hondas :D although maybe a honda with a SBC in it...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm not running a stock turbo... and I was simply making reference to Mad Max, I always dreamed of having that setup on my Camaro..
I don't have the time or the money to supercharge my 5.9, but I say it would be freaking sweet, however I had thought about a small blower on my drag car and a turbo to push it, partly for looks, partly for scare factor and all in the name of power!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
haha I don't have much of an opinion on the subject because im not worried about supercharging my truck... but that engine bay was pretty sweet looking!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts