Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

supercharged cummins

53980 Views 61 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  newbie_cummins
has anyone thought or done a supercharger on the 12v or 24v diesels? dieselpowermag had an article about it but it wasnt very in deepth thanks guys :headbang:

here is a link dont kno if it will work
http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/e...ng/16943158+cr1+re0+ar1/blown-59l-cummins.jpg
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
1,020 Posts
they used to do it with the old Detroit diesel in the 70's and they were twin turbo's as well. I know there is a d-max that has done it. Can't see why a cummins wouldnt work

· Registered
9,898 Posts
Their are a few supercharged + turbo'd cummins's kicking around on the boards here.

Also, it isnt anything new, like stated above, detroit has used superchargers and turbos on their screamin demons since the ice ages

· THE Hood Stack Guy!
3,068 Posts
Although it would be cool, CTD's realy are not as easy to supercharge compared to PSD's and D-Max's. I got to get a short look at a 6.0 at TS that was supercharged, it was pretty cool and ran DANG good!

But all in all, its a lot easier to drop a super charger in the vally of a V8 than trying to hang one off the side of an I-6

· Registered
412 Posts
But all in all, its a lot easier to drop a super charger in the vally of a V8 than trying to hang one off the side of an I-6

Agreed.

superchargers are generally not as effiecient as turbos and sap more power from the engine. Also that is why you usually dont see them much anymore.

Although it would be cool to find out the difference on a 12 or 24 valve.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Don't forget they used both on WWI and WWII fighters and bombers.

· Registered
29 Posts
I've always thought it'd be cool to have a supercharger for instant off the line power without having to let turbo(s) spool. Running 10 or 12 psi at 1200 RPM would make a big difference I think.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I believe I saw a supercharged Cummins in Diesel power once, it had two HX35s running in a series and a super charger in a Ford Ranger. Or maybe it was a dream.:confused013:

· Registered
9,898 Posts
nope, but this topic comes up a few times a month and quite a few different setups have been posted.

· Registered
143 Posts
:headbang::headbang:That would actually be easy to setup the only problem would be the belt length hahha anyone got a supercharger handy. Ill sure try and tell you guys about it:lol4:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.